CD Review on Saturday 7 April 2012 - BAL is JS Bach

Jared

Re: CD Review on Saturday 7 April 2012 - BAL is JS Bach

Post by Jared »

Ciaran... that's the post of the week (probably month) without any shadow of a doubt... thanks SO much for talking the time to put that together, for such a small audience; like Sean, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it...

... I only wish I had the literary skill to compose such a piece... fabulous.

and as far as I can remember, yes the veil was torn 'in twain' from the top to the bottom, with no left or right mentioned... ;-)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'd also like to add my thanks to Ciaran for that. Great stuff!

You know, I've never once listened to BAL, but having read a few reports about it, it always seems...odd. Not mentioning previous top recommendations seems perverse to me, and spending so much time on English traditional versions at the expense of, for example, McCreesh just doesn't make sense to me. I really must try to catch an episode dealing with something I know well sometime.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote: Not mentioning previous top recommendations seems perverse to me, and spending so much time on English traditional versions at the expense of, for example, McCreesh just doesn't make sense to me.
quite right Simon... being a self-confessed McCreesh fanboy, I hold the view that he's the victim of snobbery... the old guard don't like his lightning tempos...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:I'd also like to add my thanks to Ciaran for that. Great stuff!

You know, I've never once listened to BAL, but having read a few reports about it, it always seems...odd. Not mentioning previous top recommendations seems perverse to me, and spending so much time on English traditional versions at the expense of, for example, McCreesh just doesn't make sense to me. I really must try to catch an episode dealing with something I know well sometime.
In all honesty I would not go out of your way to listen to it Simon. I did listen in on a semi regular basis long ago but I gave it up long hence. I must admit that the format is an interesting one though.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Diapason wrote:I'd also like to add my thanks to Ciaran for that. Great stuff!

In all honesty I would not go out of your way to listen to it Simon. I did listen in on a semi regular basis long ago but I gave it up long hence. I must admit that the format is an interesting one though.
I listen to the entire CD Review programme every week and I really enjoy it. Sometimes I even record a BAL broadcast too, like last Saturday's for example.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

One in four of the BALs are always given a two side potted version in the BBC Music Mag... this month was Schumann Symph No.1, and the next month is Bach's Brandenburg Concertos... they always have a 3rd side entitled 'Where to next'? which gives the listened choices of works they might enjoy, of a similar style... I always enjoy this section of the magazine.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Jared wrote:
Diapason wrote: Not mentioning previous top recommendations seems perverse to me, and spending so much time on English traditional versions at the expense of, for example, McCreesh just doesn't make sense to me.
quite right Simon... being a self-confessed McCreesh fanboy, I hold the view that he's the victim of snobbery... the old guard don't like his lightning tempos...
All may not be lost for McCreesh fans! After a bit of research I can confirm that BaL has recommended your man in the following recordings (since 2000):-

Image Image Image

I am quite a fan of Building a Library, and will often relisten to particularly enlightening episodes. That said; it can be nigglingly frustrating when Mr or Ms Reviewer doesn't single out for praise the recordings which I hold dear...

...if the Mackerras SCO recording of the Jupiter symphony isn't recommended next week, someone at the BBC will pay! ;-)
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jared

Post by Jared »

thanks for that, Darren... where's his Haydn Creation (Gramophone disk of the year 2008) I want to know.. ;-)
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Jared wrote:thanks for that, Darren... where's his Haydn Creation (Gramophone disk of the year 2008) I want to know.. ;-)
I seem to remember Gramophone's Essential Collection feature recommending Karajan strongly in that work; but this was before McCreesh's reading appeared...
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: ...if the Mackerras SCO recording of the Jupiter symphony isn't recommended next week, someone at the BBC will pay! ;-)

Good for you Darren....you tell 'em!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra