Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:
Jared wrote:
Diapason wrote:You've persuaded me to do the same, Fergus. Truthfully, I'm not getting much out of it, for some reason this music just doesn't float my boat. Strange really, you'd think it would be right up my street.
are you referring to the Gesualdo, Simon?
Yes indeed, talking about that Gesualdo disc. Turned it off and put on some Simon and Garfunkel instead!

Not much that I can add to that!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Selections from....

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:Gosh, I spent a long time yesterday listening to Bach trying to get a handle on Saint Matthew Passion. I listened to these two:

I think that I prefer the Suzuki set but I don't know yet.
I take Brüggen any day over Suzuki.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image
Did you enjoy it Pepe?
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image
Did you enjoy it Pepe?
Absolutely Fergus. This very early Handel Passion is typical of the Passions composed in Hamburg in the early XVIII Century. In fact, on first hearing it sounds more like Telemann than Handel, and as I said when hearing the Telemann Brockes Passion, it uses the same book.
There are 2 other recordings of this work. The first was a 1960´s recording with August Wenzinger in Archiv, and then in the early 80´s McGegan recorded it in Budapest for Hungaroton, but Peter Neumann´s is far superior to either. Early Handel but extremely good early Handel.
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

I heard Faure's requiem as part of the soundtrack to the 'One Day' drama series on BBC recently and really liked it. Can somebody reccommend specific recordings of this and other works of Faure to a virtual newcomer to the classical? Thanks.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

dhyantyke wrote:I heard Faure's requiem as part of the soundtrack to the 'One Day' drama series on BBC recently and really liked it. Can somebody reccommend specific recordings of this and other works of Faure to a virtual newcomer to the classical? Thanks.

I´m very fond of this recording that is paired with one of the finest renditions of Cesar Franck´s Symphony.
Philippe Herreweghe has an earlier recording in which he uses a chamber version of the Requiem that is very lovely too, both are prime recommendations for the Requiem.