What are you listening to?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Diapason »

You've persuaded me to do the same, Fergus. Truthfully, I'm not getting much out of it, for some reason this music just doesn't float my boat. Strange really, you'd think it would be right up my street.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Currently listening to this....

I am SO wanting to get that disk... it'll just have to wait a while, though... :-(
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:You've persuaded me to do the same, Fergus. Truthfully, I'm not getting much out of it, for some reason this music just doesn't float my boat. Strange really, you'd think it would be right up my street.
are you referring to the Gesualdo, Simon?
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gosh, I spent a long time yesterday listening to Bach trying to get a handle on Saint Matthew Passion. I listened to these two:

I think that I prefer the Suzuki set but I don't know yet.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ how are you getting on with JSB, Sean?

speaking personally, I tackled Bach in this order...

Magnificat/ Easter Oratorio - Mass In B - Christmas - St John - St Matthew

which I think was right for me, in terms of length and accessibility of each work.. although that might not be right for everyone.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ how are you getting on with JSB, Sean?

speaking personally, I tackled Bach in this order...

Magnificat/ Easter Oratorio - Mass In B - Christmas - St John - St Matthew

which I think was right for me, in terms of length and accessibility of each work.. although that might not be right for everyone.
Jared, I love the Christmas Oratario and I do listen to the six parts over Christmas and New Year, they are short pieces. I have ony started listening to the St Matthew Passion and I do like it, but it's a very long piece. I listened to both performances yesterday, Bruggen and then Suzuki and when the Suzuki was complete I was all "Bached out". I returned to it this morning though before BAL, and as one might expect it does reward repeated listening.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Jared wrote:
Diapason wrote:You've persuaded me to do the same, Fergus. Truthfully, I'm not getting much out of it, for some reason this music just doesn't float my boat. Strange really, you'd think it would be right up my street.
are you referring to the Gesualdo, Simon?
Yes indeed, talking about that Gesualdo disc. Turned it off and put on some Simon and Garfunkel instead!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:Jared, I love the Christmas Oratario and I do listen to the six parts over Christmas and New Year, they are short pieces. I have ony started listening to the St Matthew Passion and I do like it, but it's a very long piece. I listened to both performances yesterday, Bruggen and then Suzuki and when the Suzuki was complete I was all "Bached out". I returned to it this morning though before BAL, and as one might expect it does reward repeated listening.
That's great to read, Sean.. if someone forced me to name what I thought was the greatest piece of choral music ever written, I think it would have to be the Mass in B minor... it really is a huge ediface of multi-layered magnificence, and so ahead of it's time... that said, I could listen to Bach choral all day long (and often do!)
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:Yes indeed, talking about that Gesualdo disc. Turned it off and put on some Simon and Garfunkel instead!
hmm.. that is indeed both interesting and surprising, coming from you of all people... maybe Gesualdo was so consumed with grief over the double murders, that it affected his musical judgement?
Jared

Post by Jared »