What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

Jose Echenique wrote: Now it´s very rare to see recordings of children´s choirs.
this is something I have given thought to in the past pape, which is wqhy I have recently invested in this version of the Bach Motets:

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Now it´s very rare to see recordings of children´s choirs. Even 20 years ago you could take your pick from the Regensburger Domspatzen (conducted by the Pope´s Brother who was recently accused of slapping children when they failed to reach a C or and F -good for Herr Ratzinger I say-), the Tölzer Knabenchor, the Vienna Boy´s Choir and the Westminster Cathedral Choir.
Oh you are a hard task master Pepe LOL!!!
He confessed to using physical violence on children, slapping them on the ear was a particular favourite of his, of course he regretted it afterwards and was relieved when this form of abuse was outlawed in Germany. Well I can tell you what I would do to him if that was a child of mine, suffice it to say that I wouldn't restrain myself from doing him some serious damage.

I don´t aprove of violence against children of course, but if you are going to record Palestrina for Deutsche Harmonia Mundi you´d better make those brats sing well:

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Jared wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: Now it´s very rare to see recordings of children´s choirs.
this is something I have given thought to in the past pape, which is wqhy I have recently invested in this version of the Bach Motets:

That´s an excellent recording Jared. I also like very much the slightly older Regensburger Domspatzen recording in Archiv conducted by Hans-Martin Schneidt.
The finest children choir recordings I have bought lately have been with the Hannover Knabenchor. Gorgeous recordings!!!!

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

For Maundy Thursday I have selected 2 truly important Passions. The Giordani Passion appeared in OPUS111 invaluable Treasures of the Piedmont series some 10 years ago. We don´t know much of this early XVIII Century composer, but on this evidence he was a most talented one. This is quite a find, a truly beautiful work. The most startling feature is that the Evangelist or "Canto" is sung (not recited) by a contralto. This is also a very Italian Passion, very different from Bach, but so beautiful in it´s own way that I sincerely recommend it.
The much later Jommelli Passion already announces Gluck and the young Mozart. Jommelli was a genius, a great and celebrated composer in his time that we are only now beginning to understand.
The musical invention is of a high order, this Passion is infinitely superior to the Salieri and Myslivecek I heard in past days. The recording is good, very well conducted by Alessandro De Marchi who also conducts the Giordani. If you feel that you already own enough St. John and St. Matthew Passions, these 2 should probe valuable musical experiences.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jose Echenique wrote: if you are going to record Palestrina for Deutsche Harmonia Mundi you´d better make those brats sing well
I think children should be encouraged to sing well, with the promise of cake... :-)
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Jared wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: if you are going to record Palestrina for Deutsche Harmonia Mundi you´d better make those brats sing well
I think children should be encouraged to sing well, with the promise of cake... :-)
Cake was a great incentive for me when I was a child. And if it was chocolate cake so much the better.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Jared wrote:
Cake was a great incentive for me when I was a child. And if it was chocolate cake so much the better.
From the tender age of eleven I was singled out by my teachers and told to stop singing because my voice was breaking....it has never been fixed. I still can't sing a note, all the cake in the world can't change that, I'm afraid.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:From the tender age of eleven I was singled out by my teachers and told to stop singing because my voice was breaking....it has never been fixed. I still can't sing a note, all the cake in the world can't change that, I'm afraid.
I could have written every word of that... I was in the school choir until just after my 12th birthday until Mr Potter suggested it wasn't a good idea; I've not been able to sing a note since, although the cake would at least be some solace..
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:

Interesting that Jared. We must compare notes sometime as I have the following version....

Textures are certainly different with this type of choir.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

From the following CD....

Palestrina: Lesson 1 for Maundy Thursday
Lassus: Lesson 1 for Maundy Thursday
Lassus: Lesson 3 for Maundy Thursday
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre