What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Some more appropriate music for Holy Week....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Some more appropriate music for Holy Week....

I have a couple of things to say to that... firstly, it really doesn't get much better... sublime harmonic beauty of the very highest order.

Secondly, I admire greatly the dedication you put into actually playing the right music at the right time of the year... as you'll no doubt remember , you made a polite comment about me listening to the choral version of Jesus' 7 Last Words from the Cross by Haydn at Christmas.. well, I've just been playing Tallis' Missa Puer natus est nobis at Easter...

Fergus, my whole life is a shambles...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Bruckner - Symphony No.7

de Falla - El sombrero de tres picos (excerpts)

Mussorgsky - Khovanshchina Prelude (Carlo Maria Giulini, Philharmonia Orchestra, BBC Legends)

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:[... as you'll no doubt remember , you made a polite comment about me listening to the choral version of Jesus' 7 Last Words from the Cross by Haydn at Christmas.. well, I've just been playing Tallis' Missa Puer natus est nobis at Easter...

LOL!!!! Join the club; you are not alone my friend.

It does not matter when one plays the music Jared so long as one enjoys it....and I know that you do! It is just that I have been listening to this stuff for so long now that I have eventually gotten around to putting it in the correct sequence....that is all.
fergus

Post by fergus »

The music on this CD comprises Horn Concertos from Haydn, Telemann, Leopold Mozart and Forster. The music itself is wonderful and the performances are delightful. The playing has a lovely light touch but is very assured.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Another little known Passion by Mozart´s rival.
That looks interesting and intruiging Pepe! I had not realised that Salieri had written a Passion!
Like Mozart and Haydn, Salieri composed operas, concertos, symphonies and a large amount of religious music. In the competitive XVIII century that was expected of every composer.
Having said that, Salieri`s Passion is a nice work, well composed, but perhaps not a masterpiece.

For a great mid XVIII Century Passion look for Jommelli´s which I will hear tomorrow.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Some more appropriate music for Holy Week....

I have a couple of things to say to that... firstly, it really doesn't get much better... sublime harmonic beauty of the very highest order.

Secondly, I admire greatly the dedication you put into actually playing the right music at the right time of the year... as you'll no doubt remember , you made a polite comment about me listening to the choral version of Jesus' 7 Last Words from the Cross by Haydn at Christmas.. well, I've just been playing Tallis' Missa Puer natus est nobis at Easter...

And something very important that is often overlooked: this music was meant for a boys/men chorus, a mixed choir like the Tallis Scholars and so many others, in spite of how well and accurate they sing they just don´t produce the real "period" sound, and that´s why the Westminster Cathedral recording are invaluable. The same goes for Palestrina and any other XVI Century choral music.
Now it´s very rare to see recordings of children´s choirs. Even 20 years ago you could take your pick from the Regensburger Domspatzen (conducted by the Pope´s Brother who was recently accused of slapping children when they failed to reach a C or and F -good for Herr Ratzinger I say-), the Tölzer Knabenchor, the Vienna Boy´s Choir and the Westminster Cathedral Choir.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Now it´s very rare to see recordings of children´s choirs. Even 20 years ago you could take your pick from the Regensburger Domspatzen (conducted by the Pope´s Brother who was recently accused of slapping children when they failed to reach a C or and F -good for Herr Ratzinger I say-), the Tölzer Knabenchor, the Vienna Boy´s Choir and the Westminster Cathedral Choir.
Oh you are a hard task master Pepe LOL!!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Now it´s very rare to see recordings of children´s choirs. Even 20 years ago you could take your pick from the Regensburger Domspatzen (conducted by the Pope´s Brother who was recently accused of slapping children when they failed to reach a C or and F -good for Herr Ratzinger I say-), the Tölzer Knabenchor, the Vienna Boy´s Choir and the Westminster Cathedral Choir.
Oh you are a hard task master Pepe LOL!!!
He confessed to using physical violence on children, slapping them on the ear was a particular favourite of his, of course he regretted it afterwards and was relieved when this form of abuse was outlawed in Germany. Well I can tell you what I would do to him if that was a child of mine, suffice it to say that I wouldn't restrain myself from doing him some serious damage.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler