Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

Claus wrote:Ben Webster was in many ways my introduction to hifi. My friend in school had a dad who was interested in music and had a decent system. We used to listen to his Dylan, Dire Straits and Ben Webster records. We loved the story his dad used to tell about him seeing Ben Webster when Ben used to live in Copenhagen back in the "Montmartre days". He told us that Ben would just sit in a chair and play while tears were streaming down his cheeks.
That's a lovely story Claus. Some black American musicans made their home in Europe because of the extraordinary warm reception they received over here compared with the horrible treatment they were subjected to in the States. The Montmarte was a great spot for them too.

By the way the Ben Webster Art Tatum recordings are delightful.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Claus

Post by Claus »

Seán wrote:
Claus wrote:Ben Webster was in many ways my introduction to hifi. My friend in school had a dad who was interested in music and had a decent system. We used to listen to his Dylan, Dire Straits and Ben Webster records. We loved the story his dad used to tell about him seeing Ben Webster when Ben used to live in Copenhagen back in the "Montmartre days". He told us that Ben would just sit in a chair and play while tears were streaming down his cheeks.
That's a lovely story Claus. Some black American musicans made their home in Europe because of the extraordinary warm reception they received over here compared with the horrible treatment they were subjected to in the States. The Montmarte was a great spot for them too.

Indeed Sean. Dexter Gordon, Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Kenny Drew, Tom Waits and others all lived in Copenhagen at some stage. It had a huge influence on the jazz milieu in all of Scandinavia. In Denmark bass players Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Hugo Rasmussen, Mads Vinding, Jesper Lundgaard and Bo Stief, drummer Alex Riel, and trumpeter Palle Mikkelborg all got to play with the legends. Some of these musicians went on to play in pop groups of the 80's producing some excellent albums.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

If ECM is anything to go buy, there's still a pretty serious jazz scene in Scandinavia.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Claus

Post by Claus »

Diapason wrote:If ECM is anything to go buy, there's still a pretty serious jazz scene in Scandinavia.
Yeah the legacy lives on!
Not to mention ACT; best known for Esbjorn Svensson but with a great catalogue of quality stuff! :D
I am still amazed that my small 200.000 population town of Odense has, what seems like a much more vibrant jazz scene, than Dublin.... I am sure there might be several reasons for this, but still ;)
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Attachments
neil-cowley-trio-the-face-of-mount-molehill.jpg
neil-cowley-trio-the-face-of-mount-molehill.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 321 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

On vinyl. 2nd hand. Great buying spree last week !
Terrific record.
Attachments
Art-Blakey--The-Jazz-Mes-Childs-Dance-469351.jpg
Art-Blakey--The-Jazz-Mes-Childs-Dance-469351.jpg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 321 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Seán

Post by Seán »

Claus wrote:
Diapason wrote:If ECM is anything to go buy, there's still a pretty serious jazz scene in Scandinavia.
Yeah the legacy lives on!
Not to mention ACT; best known for Esbjorn Svensson but with a great catalogue of quality stuff! :D
I am still amazed that my small 200.000 population town of Odense has, what seems like a much more vibrant jazz scene, than Dublin.... I am sure there might be several reasons for this, but still ;)
Oh don't get me started, please....
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

The Scandinavians, and in particular the Swedes, have had a good Jazz tradition going back to the fifties.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Claus wrote:
Seán wrote:

Indeed Sean. Dexter Gordon, Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Kenny Drew, Tom Waits and others all lived in Copenhagen at some stage.
and George Coleman too.
It had a huge influence on the jazz milieu in all of Scandinavia. In Denmark bass players Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Hugo Rasmussen, Mads Vinding, Jesper Lundgaard and Bo Stief, drummer Alex Riel, and trumpeter Palle Mikkelborg all got to play with the legends. Some of these musicians went on to play in pop groups of the 80's producing some excellent albums.
The Danes have produced wonderul musicans and the late, great Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen is a particular favourite of mine so too is Pale Mikkelborg who is a lovely musician and what a tone he has on trumpet, wow!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

More from Mr. Webster:

Do or do not, there is no try