What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image

personally, I have quite a soft spot for the Tintner, in all it's unpolished, unedited, brassy glory...
Yes, good idea Jared, I had forgotten Tintner who is always good in Bruckner I find and I am sure can be picked up quite cheaply by one saving to do a Masters!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Tchaikovsky - Concert Fantasy (Bernd Glemser/Antoni Wit, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Nicoló Jommelli was one of the most famous and celebrated composers of his time, but like his contemporary Hasse his rediscovery has taken some time. These late Baroque or almost pre-Classical Lamentationes are magnificent music, very different of course from the better known but much earlier Couperin or Zelenka settings, but equally great. My favourite countertenor Gérard Lesne gives a sovereign performance, and he is excellently supported by the then very young Veronique Gens. This time Lesne invited his friend Christophe Rousset to conduct the ensemble Il Seminario Musicale, and the results are stunning. No matter how many times I have heard this recording, and trust me dozens, I´m always fascinated by the invention of the great Jommelli.
bombasticDarren

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.3 & Andante and Finale (orch: Tanayev) (Bernd Glemser/Antoni Wit, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

fergus

Post by fergus »

With talk of Bruckner and Tintner earlier I went and listened to this one....

This is one that was composed as an assignment as part of his formal musical studies!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Don Quixote....

bombasticDarren

Bruckner - Symphony No.3 (Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Naxos)