What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: I will admit that I thought Litton was less successful overall in Symphony No.4. This Abbado rendition is much more full throated and has a charm that is distinct from the more mellow Litton - I wouldn't be without either recording though...
Thank you Darren. I used to listen to lots and lots of Tchaikovsky in my distant youth but not so much any more. It is not that there is anything wrong with his music, on the contrary, it is just that Baroque music consumed me in the intervening years. I must pay the music a visit again in the near future.
I am learning to love Tchaikovsky's music. My original view is that his music was quite superficial - but I don't feel that way any longer.

That is an interesting comment Darren as I never felt that Tchaikovsky's music was superficial; my issue with it was that it was too emotional, that was probably why I loved it so much during my hormonal teens!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a lovely performance of these charming works.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Piano Quintets Nos. 1 & 2 from this set....

Jared

Post by Jared »

Finally arrived at disk 10 of this tremendous set... an absolute must for all Renaissance buffs.. and I'm on my final 10 minute organ voluntary (donm't worry folks, most of the set is absolutely marvellous, otherwise.. ;-)) )
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:That is an interesting comment Darren as I never felt that Tchaikovsky's music was superficial; my issue with it was that it was too emotional, that was probably why I loved it so much during my hormonal teens!!
I will be the first to admit that whilst I do really enjoy Tchaikovsky, I can only listen to him in relatively small doses, a bit like eating lemon merangue.. delicious, but you don't always want second helpings.

I can't help feeling (as a novice) though that poor old Piotr tends to suffer from a bit of underlying snobbery, which suggests that any music which can be appreciated and enjoyed within the first couple of listens has to be rather superficial... of course I don't think this is either true or fair, but it has been said... what do you all think?

Anyway, just when you thought I wouldn't be able to stomach any more Tallis:

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

My marathon of Easter music started a week ago and continues today with a personal favourite, La Deposizione della Croce, a gorgeous oratorio by the great Austrian Court composer Johann Joseph Fux. This passionate, Italianate and almost operatic oratorio couldn´t be more Catholic, the orchestration and vocal writing are opulent, like one of those rich Bavarian Baroque Catholic churches, and makes a fascinating contrast to the more austere Lutheran Bach Passions from Northern Germany..
The recording is magnificent too, this was probably the very first recording of 2 great sopranos that were starting important careers: Dorothea Röschmann and Soile Isokoski, and both sing like angels.
The excellent Wiener Akademie is a delight. This 20 year old recording is sadly now deleted, but if you happen to find it somewhere second hand please don´t hesitate, it´s a marvel.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Bruckner - Symphony No.3 (Eliahu Inbal, Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra, Warner Apex)

Jared

Post by Jared »

1st listen: well, this is a delightfully joyous (and rather educational) disk...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

My marathon of Easter music started a week ago and continues today with a personal favourite, La Deposizione della Croce, a gorgeous oratorio by the great Austrian Court composer Johann Joseph Fux. This passionate, Italianate and almost operatic oratorio couldn´t be more Catholic, the orchestration and vocal writing are opulent, like one of those rich Bavarian Baroque Catholic churches, and makes a fascinating contrast to the more austere Lutheran Bach Passions from Northern Germany..
The recording is magnificent too, this was probably the very first recording of 2 great sopranos that were starting important careers: Dorothea Röschmann and Soile Isokoski, and both sing like angels.
The excellent Wiener Akademie is a delight. This 20 year old recording is sadly now deleted, but if you happen to find it somewhere second hand please don´t hesitate, it´s a marvel.
That sounds delightful Pepe!
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Bruckner - Symphony No.3 (Eliahu Inbal, Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra, Warner Apex)

A particular favourite of mine Darren....did you like it?