What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Beethoven - Overture Die Ruinen von Athen & Symphony No.8 (Riccardo Chailly, Gewandhausorchester, Decca)

bombasticDarren

R. Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra & Don Juan (Michael Tilson Thomas, London Symphony Orchestra, Sony Classical)

mcq

Post by mcq »

First up today is The Tallis Scholars' absorbing performance of Gesualdo's Tenebrae Responsories and his Four Marian Motets. These are powerfully intense pieces given a committed reading by the Scholars, if a little on the cool and glacial side.

Next up is Cecus, a wonderful performance by Bjorn Schmelzer and his Grandelavoix ensemble, concentrating on music by Agricola as well a number of tracks by contemporaries like Pierre de la Rue and Josquin Desprez. I'm a big fan of Grandelavoix. They always seem to bring their own unique identity to all of their recordings. In particular, their performances of the songs of Gilles Binchois (entitled Joye, available on Glossa) is a very special and extraordinarily affecting listening experience.

Finally, an exquisite recital by Rosa Dominguez (accompanied by musicians Monica Pustilnik and Dolores Costoyas) entitled Odi Euterpe. Concentrating on works written in the early 17th century in Italy by composers such as Caccini, d'India and Frescobaldi, this is a beautifully sung performance that I find very rewarding.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
bombasticDarren

Tchaikovsky - Symphony Manfred (Andrew Litton, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

One of Telemann´s finest recordings. René Jacobs conducts a magnificent performance, very well sung and played. All in all one of Telemann´s most desirable recordings.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

One of Telemann´s finest recordings. René Jacobs conducts a magnificent performance, very well sung and played. All in all one of Telemann´s most desirable recordings.
:-))) Moments before I opened this thread I was thinking of playing this one next. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

and on vinyl....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Great choice Dave.

And keeping with the Brockes Book the early Handel version should not be overlooked.
The Collegium Cartusianum version outshines all others.

Seán

Post by Seán »

My wife and daughter were very pleased that I stopped listening to my Jazz collection and that I have had the Schubert Fest play throughout the house all afternoon, they really enjoyed it too:
1415-1630 The Choir

Aled Jones presents The Choir with the BBC Singers and the BBC Concert Orchestra Live from Maida Vale

1630-1830 The In Tune Schubert Salon

Live from Champs Hill in Sussex
Graham Johnson and Friends perform Schubert songs
Members of the Atos Trio perform Rondo Brilliant in B minor, D895
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.9 (Leonard Slatkin, Philharmonia Orchestra, RCA)