Adventures in amplification

Fran
Site Admin

Re: Adventures in amplification

Post by Fran »

Will do.

Mind you they're only cheapo ones, I think I bought a box of 10 of them for €30 IIRC. 6P14P-EV I think is the designation, apparently the EV means they are more rugged. Maybe thats needed in MIG jets?

The thing is though, I have no fancy audiophile ones to compare them too!! Although I do have a Croft amp here at the moment that uses EL84. Might have a look to see whats in it.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I have 4 "back up" electro harmonix EL34 valves (ostensibly for Peavey guitar amps) which might be worth trying. Although I have to say I really don't want to encourage this line of madness.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I walked into the man cave this evening and the hot air hit me at the door. I'd left the amps on all night and day, the room is like a sauna, but it sounds pretty good!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

You'll be revalving soon if you keep that up!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I know, and the 6C33c's only last 1500 hours or something. I'm normally very careful, so I'm pretty annoyed about leaving them on.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Well I've made up my mind that I'm keeping the Leben CS300 amp. In my opinion it's one of the best amps I've ever heard. Yes, other amps might tick more boxes but for sheer involvment and emotion in the music this amp has yet to be beaten for me. I havent heard a sound as sweet as this since listening to Ciaran's old Jadis monoblocks.

This particular CS300 is actually a discontinued model and is replaced by a 15watter 300CX which peoples opinions are split as to whether its better or otherwise compared to the original CS300. Cloney's have a just a few of the original 300's in stock so I'd recommend to anyone interested to try it if they've got speakers that are anyway reasonably easy to drive and dont listen to very loud volumes.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

All's well that ends well.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Congratulations Dave, I'm delighted it's worked out for you. I was under the impression that was their last 300, so you've got in under the wire.
tony

Post by tony »

Well done Dave congrats it was worth the effort and time. It is a really nice looking amp.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Be happy now, for the day is long :) Enjoy and, for God's sake, leave well enough alone!