Adventures in amplification

DaveF

Re: Adventures in amplification

Post by DaveF »

The Leben CS300 is supposed to have a circuit that is reasonably sensitive to valve changes. It uses Sovtek EL84s and some 5751 tubes I think. Anyway I've already begun looking at trying out different EL84's for the laugh. Yeah I know... madness.

I've more or less decided at this stage to go with the CS300. So I've gone from 200 Watt Krell and Gamut amps to an 80w Airtight and now have ended up with a 10watter!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Never mind the power, check the pleasurometer!
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:The Leben CS300 is supposed to have a circuit that is reasonably sensitive to valve changes. It uses Sovtek EL84s and some 5751 tubes I think. Anyway I've already begun looking at trying out different EL84's for the laugh. Yeah I know... madness.

I've more or less decided at this stage to go with the CS300. So I've gone from 200 Watt Krell and Gamut amps to an 80w Airtight and now have ended up with a 10watter!

Good for you Dave! I have not heard it with vinyl but I am sure that it must sound superb.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:The Leben CS300 is supposed to have a circuit that is reasonably sensitive to valve changes. It uses Sovtek EL84s and some 5751 tubes I think. Anyway I've already begun looking at trying out different EL84's for the laugh. Yeah I know... madness.

Good for you Dave! I have not heard it with vinyl but I am sure that it must sound superb.
Vinyl is were the biggest improvement came from. It would seem that the Leben really works well with analogue sources. I've ordered in the Leben phonostage to have a listen to it. Looks a nice piece of kit. Very neat on the inside.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/leben.htm
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:

Vinyl is were the biggest improvement came from. It would seem that the Leben really works well with analogue sources. I've ordered in the Leben phonostage to have a listen to it. Looks a nice piece of kit. Very neat on the inside.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/leben.htm
and you have a lovely vinyl collection there too. The Leben phonostage looks interesting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
tony

Post by tony »

Thats seems to be a great result Dave. The leben is that around €2.5K? Substantially cheaper than the airtight if that is the case. Fergus and Dermots contention about synergy certainly runs true here. Will have to try and give that amp a listen thats kinda affordable with a trade in. As far as I can see this amp has been out for at least 7-8yrs and sometimes available secondhand for as low as €1000. Is this a hidden gem?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

tony wrote:Thats seems to be a great result Dave. The leben is that around €2.5K? Substantially cheaper than the airtight if that is the case. Fergus and Dermots contention about synergy certainly runs true here. Will have to try and give that amp a listen thats kinda affordable with a trade in. As far as I can see this amp has been out for at least 7-8yrs and sometimes available secondhand for as low as €1000. Is this a hidden gem?
It costs somewhere between 2.5 and 3K I believe. Way cheaper than the ATM2 and despite the Leben's low wattage it sounds far more powerful and full bodied in my system than the ATM2 ever did. Such is the synergy at play here and the implementation of the 2 amps.
However, it is recommended not to pair the Leben with speakers that have a sensitivity below 89dB and if you listen to very loud volumes then forget it.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

It's DEFINITELY a hidden gem.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I have some russian 6p14p - EL84 clones. Have sounded great in my EL84 amps.
Do or do not, there is no try
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Fran wrote:I have some russian 6p14p - EL84 clones. Have sounded great in my EL84 amps.
Cheers Fran. Perhaps you can bring them out whenever you want to test the chip amp with the Kharmas.

I've just seen the Airtight ATM2 for sale in Cloney's preowned section going for 5995 Euro. Someone will get a bargin if they've got the right speakers to go with that amp.