Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT: Ellington's Shakespearean Suite:

Seán

Post by Seán »

Despite my misgivings about singers I have always loved Mahalia Jackson, what a wonderful voice she had, a true Gospel singer. This recording from 1958 is complete with a gorgeous performance of the 23rd Psalm.
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

Seán

Post by Seán »

Seán

Post by Seán »

Currently on the TT:

mcq

Post by mcq »

An exceptional meeting of great minds. To my mind, Taylor is the greatest jazz pianist since Bud Powell and Roach is, arguably, the most important of jazz drummers. Together, they have helped the music progress and evolve. The spirit of adventure and invention on this album is just breathtaking. To follow these great musicians through these improvisations is just so rewarding, each alive to the smallest nuances of what they other is playing - which, really, is the very definition of jazz to me. To get the most from the performance, it's best to listen straight through, no interruptions and no distractions. The spiritual rewards, as in all of Taylor's music, are immense.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

In 1962, Duke Ellington led a trio comprising Max Roach and Charles Mingus performing music he wrote for a recording session, the result was an LP entitled 'Money Jungle'. The atmosphere between the musicians wasn't good, Mingus wanted to assault Roach as he was irritated by his playing, it took Ellington's best efforts to keep them apart. I shudder to think what might have happened had the pianist been Taylor rather than Ellington on thatocassion.

Taylor and Roach? that's certainly an interesting combination.
Last edited by Seán on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seán

Post by Seán »