What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No. 35

Prague Chamber Orchestra
Charles Mackerras - conducting
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Walton - Belshazzar's Feast (Michael Rippon/James Loughran, Halle Choir & Orchestra, CfP)

bombasticDarren

Rawsthorne - Symphony No.1 (David Lloyd-Jones, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

bombasticDarren

Mendelssohn - Overture The Hebrides (Fingal's Cave) (Claudio Abbado, London Symphony Orchestra, DG)

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Rawsthorne - Symphony No.1 (David Lloyd-Jones, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

I have a CD of Rawsthorne's Concertos for String Orchestra and a CD of his Chamber Music. I have not listened to either in a long time but if I recall correctly I preferred the Chamber Music to the Orchestral Music. I will be interested to read what you thought of him.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

mcq wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Seán wrote:
<I was looking at the Tafelmusik's recording and wondering if I should get it, I do like them but they are not the Freiburg.>

The Bernius recording is about 20 years old, but it was and still is a very beautiful recording. I think you should go for it, since it´s unlikely that another recording will come up soon. I think it´s not going to be possible to reunite the Collegium Vocale with the Freiburger Barockorchester since Herreweghe and HM parted ways a couple of years ago.
But even if the Bernius recording doesn´t match the brilliance of the Marcus Creed forces, it´s never less than very beautiful and 100% recommendable.
Frieder Bernius' recordings of Zelenka's Missa Votiva and Missa Dei Patris (on the Carus label) are some of the finest performances I've heard of works by this once criminally undervalued composer. These are impassioned readings, bristling with life that cut to the very emotional quick of this wonderful music. I'd also like to recommend Bernius' excellent readings of Handel's Messiah and Bach's Mass in B Minor with the same forces (also available on Carus). Superb contributions from countertenor Daniel Taylor on all of these discs.

Image Image

Image Image

Thomas Hengelbrock's fine performances of the Zelenka Miserere with his Balthasar-Neumann Ensemble and choir (coupled with works by Bach and Lotti and available on DHM) are also highly recommended.

I endorse everything you say, and don´t forget the equally magnificent Missa Omnium Sanctorum:

mcq

Post by mcq »

I haven't yet heard Bernius' reading of the Missa Omnium Sanctorum, Jose. Is it still in print?

By the way, I forgot to mention the superb performance of the Lamentations on Hyperion as well in my earlier post.

You also mentioned Herreweghe's break with Harmonia Mundi. At the time, I found this very surprising and I thought it was a big loss for Harmonia Mundi. They also parted ways with Konrad Junghanel (an artist with a smaller discography than Herreweghe's, but of similar stature artistically). Do you know whether HM ever gave a reason for not renewing their contracts or did Herreweghe and Junghanel simply want to move on?
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:I haven't yet heard Bernius' reading of the Missa Omnium Sanctorum, Jose. Is it still in print?

By the way, I forgot to mention the superb performance of the Lamentations on Hyperion as well in my earlier post.

I also have and enjoy that CD Paul. Another Hyperion disc that is very enjoyable is this one which you may also have....

However the best Zelenka that I have ever heard is this one (courtesy of my good friend Jose)....

If you can manage to get your hands on it (out of print now I think) it is an absolute delight!
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is very well played on a lovely sounding instrument. The recorded quality is also very good.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Despite considering Bach as the greatest composer ever to walk the earth, and despite admiring fugue more than virtually any other form, I find the Art of Fugue to be hard going in one sitting.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2