What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

I do like Scriabin's Poem, I don't get Copland though.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Berlioz - Symphonie fantastique (Roger Norrington, The London Classical Players, Virgin Classics)

fergus

Post by fergus »

Matt: another CD that you may be interested in listening to (as you have access to it) is the Bax symphony No. 5 which I have listened to again tonight....

Bax was influenced by Sibelius and the Norse legends and apparently after Bax met Sibelius, Bax dedicated his fifth symphony to Sibelius.
The music is reminiscent of but not imitative of the music of Sibelius as Bax has a voice of his own. The resemblance comes in the orchestral textures that would be part of the Sibelius sound world and the slow movement of the Bax symphony no. 5 would be a good example of this similarity.
The music would not be as profound as that of Sibelius but it is rather good in its own right and it is very accessible and easy on the ear. It is definitely worth a listen.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Berlioz - Symphonie fantastique (Roger Norrington, The London Classical Players, Virgin Classics)

How did you like that one Darren?
Was it a powerful or subdued version?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
<I was looking at the Tafelmusik's recording and wondering if I should get it, I do like them but they are not the Freiburg.>

The Bernius recording is about 20 years old, but it was and still is a very beautiful recording. I think you should go for it, since it´s unlikely that another recording will come up soon. I think it´s not going to be possible to reunite the Collegium Vocale with the Freiburger Barockorchester since Herreweghe and HM parted ways a couple of years ago.
But even if the Bernius recording doesn´t match the brilliance of the Marcus Creed forces, it´s never less than very beautiful and 100% recommendable.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:Seán wrote:
<I was looking at the Tafelmusik's recording and wondering if I should get it, I do like them but they are not the Freiburg.>

The Bernius recording is about 20 years old, but it was and still is a very beautiful recording. I think you should go for it, since it´s unlikely that another recording will come up soon. I think it´s not going to be possible to reunite the Collegium Vocale with the Freiburger Barockorchester since Herreweghe and HM parted ways a couple of years ago.
But even if the Bernius recording doesn´t match the brilliance of the Marcus Creed forces, it´s never less than very beautiful and 100% recommendable.
Thanks Pepe, I will get it so.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

Jose Echenique wrote:Seán wrote:

Frieder Bernius' recordings of Zelenka's Missa Votiva and Missa Dei Patris (on the Carus label) are some of the finest performances I've heard of works by this once criminally undervalued composer. These are impassioned readings, bristling with life that cut to the very emotional quick of this wonderful music. I'd also like to recommend Bernius' excellent readings of Handel's Messiah and Bach's Mass in B Minor with the same forces (also available on Carus). Superb contributions from countertenor Daniel Taylor on all of these discs.

Image Image

Image Image

Thomas Hengelbrock's fine performances of the Zelenka Miserere with his Balthasar-Neumann Ensemble and choir (coupled with works by Bach and Lotti and available on DHM) are also highly recommended.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Berlioz - Symphonie fantastique (Roger Norrington, The London Classical Players, Virgin Classics)

How did you like that one Darren?
Was it a powerful or subdued version?
Subdued, in my view at least Fergus. I was disappointd at first, but the more it went on the more I warmed to it. I still don't altogether 'get' Norrington though - I have no problem with his approach, just his execution
bombasticDarren

Delius - Violin Concerto (Tasmin Little/Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos) & Cello Concerto (Paul Watkins/Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos)

bombasticDarren

Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.4 (Leonard Slatkin, Philharmonia Orchestra, RCA)