What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

I love Rautavaara's music.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Johann Sebastian Bach
Suite No. 1 in E Minor, BWV 996
Suite No. 2 in A Minor, BWV 997

John Williams - guitar

They really do reward repeated listening.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I enjoyed a lovely listening session with my brother yesterday and to my great surprise and delight he was enthralled by Zelenka's saced music, he was particularly impressed with the Collegium Vocale Ghent:

Jan Dismas Zelenka
Missa dei filii

Collegium Vocale Ghent
Freiburg Baroque Orchestra conducted by Marcus Creed
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Mozart - Piano Concerto No.27 (Mitsuko Ichida/Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra, Philips)

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:I enjoyed a lovely listening session with my brother yesterday and to my great surprise and delight he was enthralled by Zelenka's saced music, he was particularly impressed with the Collegium Vocale Ghent:

Jan Dismas Zelenka
Missa dei filii

Collegium Vocale Ghent
That was a radio broadcast, right Seán?
The combined forces of the Collegium Vocale and the Freiburger Barockorchester look tremendous, hopefully a recording comes along.
Meanwhile we can be content with Frieder Bernius admirable DHM recording.

Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Seán wrote:I enjoyed a lovely listening session with my brother yesterday and to my great surprise and delight he was enthralled by Zelenka's saced music, he was particularly impressed with the Collegium Vocale Ghent:

Jan Dismas Zelenka
Missa dei filii

Collegium Vocale Ghent
That was a radio broadcast, right Seán?
The combined forces of the Collegium Vocale and the Freiburger Barockorchester look tremendous, hopefully a recording comes along.
Meanwhile we can be content with Frieder Bernius admirable DHM recording.
Hi Pepe, yes it was broadcast last Christmas, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1179. There are excerpts up on youtube for anyone who might be interested. The Collegium Vocale are wonderful and I just adore the Freiburger Barockorchester, I haven't heard music performed like that before, they are my favourite exponents of Baroque music: but I am a newbie.
I was looking at the Tafelmusik's recording and wondering if I should get it, I do like them but they are not the Freiburg.
Last edited by Seán on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombasticDarren

Delius - Concerto for Violin, Cello, and Orchestra (Tasmin Little/Paul Watkins/Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos)

bombasticDarren

Beethoven - Symphony No.6 Pastoral (Riccardo Chailly, Gewandhausorchester, Decca)

bombasticDarren

Scriabin - Le Poeme de l'extase (Lorin Maazel, Cleveland Orchestra, Decca) & Prometheus (Vladimir Ashkenazy/Lorin Maazel, Ambrosian Singers/London Philharmonic Orchestra, Decca)

bombasticDarren

Copland - Appalachian Spring Suite & Rodeo (Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic, Sony Classical)