Quad ESL57s - panel rebuilds....

Fran
Site Admin

Re: Quad ESL57s - panel rebuilds....

Post by Fran »

get him his coat.....

Richard,

I'm sure I can help you out - join the Q! The thing is that you want stands that rise the quads about 15-18" off the floor. Also, you want the top of it sloped so that the front of the speaker is vertical - can't remember the angle but its about 15 or 20 deg or something.

I know Derek got his stuff from onething audio and was happy with the service. I think thats where I would go for new panels. Actually making your own panels is a big job.

I really must start keeping an eye out for a second pair. barryrobins stacked set sounded great...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hi Richard got your PM.

One Thing Audio are definitely the people to talk to, they provide an exchange service, where you send your damaged panel and they send you by return an overhauled unit ready to fit with detailed instructions.

They are great to deal with, responded to my e-mails with good solid information. It helped make up my mind that I had a safety net out there.

I replaced the dust covers on my 63’s with a kit from them, and in the process fitted new stockings / covers. One Thing Audio were almost over the top with advice and tips, they come highly recommended.
I do have a full walk through with pictures almost ready to post I just need to finalise what pictures go with what instructions. I think it’ll be very helpful to anybody contemplating a similar job.

If you can stand the smell of soldier and can get some quality uninterrupted time then it’s worth a go.

And don’t worry we’re here to help!

Time space and I'm almost there!
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

Thanks All,

The cost of even 2 refurbed treble panels from OTA would exceed what I paid for my ESLs with shipping from mainland UK to here, so I will do a DIY jobbie on them I think (I also need at least 1 bass panel, which means I should do all four for consistency). I'll keep searching for a suitable set of junkers for me to test on while I scour for info on how to do it properly on the net.

Ciaran - I check dimensions over the weekend and come back to you.

Cheers, Richard
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Richard,

dunno if this is what you're thinking of, but making new panels is not a simple task. I have followed many threads from lads with experience of making them and its a tricky enough thing to do. Might be worth reconsidering buying new panels - OTA do a swap service AFAIK.

Aside from that, I would be very interested in seeing your rebuilding process.... its in my head to do my own at some time, at least the HT units anyway. Perhaps you would be interested in writing up the process and taking photos etc and we could publish it on the review site?

Also, I have an article written by Art Dudley in stereophile about a rebuild. its more his story than an instruction set, but a good read nonetheless. I can scan and email it maybe?

Fran
Derek

Post by Derek »

Dowser wrote: The cost of even 2 refurbed treble panels from OTA would exceed what I paid for my ESLs with shipping from mainland UK to here, so I will do a DIY jobbie on them I think (I also need at least 1 bass panel, which means I should do all four for consistency).
You don't have to do all panels, they either work or they don't. Damaged panels are easy to spot.
If you are going to Overhaul them yourself you'll have the devil of a time getting them consistent without the right stretching equipment and tension gauges. I've looked long and hard at what required to refurbish stators (encase I found a problem when I stripped my 63's) and came down on the side of the "experts know what they are at". Anyone I knew of that repaired ESLs here brought in panels.
In saying all that any help I can give I will.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

Fran - I'd be happy to do a write up on the EHT rebuild, it is very straightforward and *very* worthwhile if your units are 20 or more years old and have never been done (I guess they all are at this stage!). I did a brief write up at PFM (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... hp?t=78753) - I can do something a bit more in depth if you like? Although Sydney Sheldon's PDF file ESL Book was my golden source of data. Yes please for the Art Dudley piece, thanks (richard<dot>dowsett<at>citi<dot>com.

Fran and Derek - I hear you on the rebuilding complete panels thing, it scares me witless! But that is why I am going to try and source a spare set of junked ESLs to work on in the first instance; if I can't find a set, then I will simply buy reconditioned units rather than risk my current ones; they sound excellent and have easily displaced my Sonus Faber Concertinos. I'm not sure of the logic of only replacing obviously faulty panels; the conductive coating degrades over time and I reckon you need to do them all to make a proper job of it. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the whole black art of panel rebuilding could be mumbo jumbo - everything I can find on the net details how Quad didn't build them to exacting standards; the stator rivets were often haphazardly placed, and the conductive material was slapped on with little thought of linearity. Of course, I'm sure it is not easy, but I fancy a pop at it. Key item I can see as being required is the stretching jig, and there are plans available for these. We'll see :-D

Cheers, Richard
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

If you manage to successfully make some panels, you might just find yourself in business!!!

I pulled my 57s out of storage and hooked them up today. Blown away by how good they sounded.... they really are such a great speaker. They probably do deserve a EHT rebuild - and mine are the ones in wax blocks so I can get at them easy enough. Are the diodes handy enough to find?

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

oh yeah, meant to say, you definitely should be visiting diyaudio.com and having a look at the speaker section. You will find lads selling smaller quantities of mylar and also the conductive coating.....

not to mention instructions etc etc etc

Fran
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

Yep - diodes are easy to source (in4007s from memory), I can give you the Farnell part numbers if you like? I also replaced caps and resistors just to be safe (seemed rude not to). If I could do it again I would have sourced some additional beeswax to make sure they were topped up fully.

DIY Audio is the one place I haven't reviewed in detail yet, but will be the next technical update for me to review.

Cheers, Richard
james

Post by james »

This is a useful site for quad speaker info ...

http://www.quadesl.org/index.html

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]