Quad ESL57s - panel rebuilds....

Dowser

Quad ESL57s - panel rebuilds....

Post by Dowser »

Does anyone know of an expert in Ireland who has rebuilt their own ESL 57 panels? I picked up a pair 6-9 months ago, and finally got around to fitting rebuilt EHT units into them (documented fully at PFM: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... hp?t=68029) - while cleaning them up inside it became apparent I have some arc damage to one of the bass panels (which I didn't think was supposed to happen - but this panel has had liquid spilled on it at some point) and one of the treble panels.

The treble panel arc burn is causing distortion and onset of further arcing at (very!) high listening volumes.

That means I need to do some DIY panels (I will do them all I guess, in for a penny, in for a pound) - a scary prospect! I'd love to talk to someone who has "been there, done that"!

And are there any carpenter audio enthusiasts out there? I've bodged some period stands onto my ESLs to raise them a bit - but they chrome and don't really match, plus are still not high enough, plus I would like to have something I can mount my monoblock valve hybrid SE amps into (see pics below). I know if I do it, it will be a bodge job - I'd like someone that can make it look nice! Is that you Fran? :) Some photos below, at the end of the post.

The ESLs sound fantastic as is (rebuilt EHT units made a big difference to bass!), and the SEs are a perfect match for them (ousted my Mark Levinson No. 29). I want to make them perfect though!

Edit to add: if anyone has a set of ESL 57s that need a complete rebuild please let me know, the worse the condition, the better (ie; cheaper!) - I am after a set so I can rebuild panels without taking mine offline, and a spare set of power supplys and output transformers would allow for some interesting DIY mods later on (ie; biwiring ESLs :D).

Thanks, Richard

Ivor

Re: Quad ESL57s - panel rebuilds....

Post by Ivor »

Not quite on your doorstep but well worth checking out.... http://www.onethingaudio.net/OTA/9152-OTA-MAIN.htm

I know Derek did a refurb on his 67s recently - new mylar sheeting etc - and is very happy with it... just something to consider if you're taking them apart anyway.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Those quads are bad for your health. Lucky for you I have a dangerous goods license and can dispose of them for you. And seeing as your a friend I won't even charge......

Nothing to do with a burning desire for a stacked set...
Do or do not, there is no try
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

Thanks Ivor - I've PM'ed Derek.

Fran - does that mean you just offered to make me some custom stands? Stacked would be nice, but I find them imposing enough in single form!

Richard
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

You wouldn't be interested in a pair of these plinths for your monos, would you? I had them made in solid cherrywood for my Jadis JA30s. Now the JA30s have gone on to new owner, and the plinths serve no purpose. They cost me €550, but I'd be happy to take rather less than that. They may not be the right size for you, of course. If you're interested, I'll check.

Dowser

Post by Dowser »

Thanks Ciaran - can you give me the dimensions? I could perch the ESLs on top, but that means the SEs would need to go underneath after some modifications - I suspect my amps are too long.

Thanks, Richard
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Hi Richard

H × W × D = 24 × 29 × 50 (cm). The arm for supporting the power lead projects 30 cm above the main surface. The Pulsar Points (there are threaded inserts for them: you could use Finite Elemente Ceraballs instead) raise the whole thing another few cm.
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

I think these folks can help you .....
Attachments
'ers.jpg
'ers.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
JAW

Post by JAW »

You'll need a woofer with those ESL's

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I dread to think where the tweeter is on that speaker. It's certainly rear ported.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable