Adventures in amplification

Diapason

Re: Adventures in amplification

Post by Diapason »

Interesting.

(I'd love to hear Von Schweikert speakers too. They keep popping up in my recent reading.)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:I also don't necessarily agree that putting together warmth and brightness leads to sonic nirvana, because you can't put back detail you take out, which is often what 'warmth' is doing..
....but is it detail that was in the recording in the first place? Of course we can't tell without knowing what went on in the recording process etc.
If the playback from an upgraded system suddenly gives you extra 'detail', is it now coming from the recording due to the new component being more transparent or is the new component sharpening up the sound giving the illusion of extra detail? Adding warmth might in some cases be just calming down a system not necessarily removing detail. Difficult to know really.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF wrote: ....but is it detail that was in the recording in the first place? Of course we can't tell without knowing what went on in the recording process etc.
If the playback from an upgraded system suddenly gives you extra 'detail', is it now coming from the recording due to the new component being more transparent or is the new component sharpening up the sound giving the illusion of extra detail? Adding warmth might in some cases be just calming down a system not necessarily removing detail. Difficult to know really.
A very good question. Sometimes perceived "detail" is just an artefact of nasties that you don't want.

I was thinking last night that I must try to get my hands on some of your "problem" recordings. In truth, I have quite a few "problem" recordings that I just think of as being bad recordings. Have you tried playing any of them in Ciaran's, for example?
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Diapason wrote:
DaveF wrote: ....but is it detail that was in the recording in the first place? Of course we can't tell without knowing what went on in the recording process etc.
A very good question. Sometimes perceived "detail" is just an artefact of nasties that you don't want.

I was thinking last night that I must try to get my hands on some of your "problem" recordings. In truth, I have quite a few "problem" recordings that I just think of as being bad recordings. Have you tried playing any of them in Ciaran's, for example?
An evening of problem recordings at my place! That sounds............ interesting!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:

I havent no, but its important to note that none of my now problematic recordings were a problem when I had the Ushers and the Gamut. They were lovely so I know that they are not bad recordings. My belief is that the problems are introduced by the combination of equipment that I now have...................or are they now revealing these recordings. Jaysus, I dont know.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ciaran wrote: An evening of problem recordings at my place! That sounds............ interesting!
LOL!!
DaveF wrote:its important to note that none of my now problematic recordings were a problem when I had the Ushers and the Gamut. They were lovely so I know that they are not bad recordings. My belief is that the problems are introduced by the combination of equipment that I now have...................or are they now revealing these recordings. Jaysus, I dont know.
Well, sometimes that happens, but if it's happening a lot and spoiling your enjoyment of more than a handful of recordings, then the system's not right anyway and needs changing.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Picking up on loan a Meridian G08.2 CDP from Cloney's tomorrow. Ivor will kindly be dropping out with his Lector CDP on Monday afternoon. If neither of those do the trick then it will be bye bye to the Airtight ATM2.
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Picking up on loan a Meridian G08.2 CDP from Cloney's tomorrow. Ivor will kindly be dropping out with his Lector CDP on Monday afternoon. If neither of those do the trick then it will be bye bye to the Airtight ATM2.
Best of luck Dave....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

OK, keep us posted....
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Best of luck with the meridian and lector. I hope they sort the issue for you as I stated earlier I would hate to have to get rid of that amp.
Out of curiosity would ESL's work with that amp? If so have you ever considered that route as the newer quads would be within your budget?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.