What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by cybot »

A flying visit to the capitol ensured that my vinyl thirst was quenched :-))

The forgotten Jimi Hendrix Lp (by me anyway!).My first remastered copy and, you
know what, I can't believe how well it sounds! Does it sound better than my original?
On a first quick listen,I think it does! The only downer is it doesn't reproduce the
fantastic black and white image of the band on the inside cover.Still it has everything
else, even lyrics....that's a first on a Hendrix album!

Inside of my own 'Axis.....' copy.

John Grant - 'Queen of Denmark' Thanks to jad's heartfelt recommendation;how could
I refuse!A quick listen to the first track 'Tc and Honeybear' had the hairs on the back
of my neck standing to attention! Can't wait to hear the rest of the Lp after the football...
BTW jad, as far as I can tell it hasn't got the ep songs tagged on - I forgot to check...
The double Lp contains 12 songs.
Last edited by cybot on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

John Grant - 'Queen of Denmark' Thanks to jad's heartfelt recommendation;how could
I refuse!A quick listen to the first track 'Tc and Honeybear' had the hairs on the back
of my neck standing to attention! Can't wait to hear the rest of the Lp after the football...
BTW jad, as far as I can tell it hasn't got the ep songs tagged on - I forgot to check...
The double Lp contains 12 songs.[/quote]

Cybot,
5 more copies sold and we might break into the top 10 in the album charts.
Hope you enjoy.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jadarin wrote:Cybot,
Hope you enjoy.
I'm gonna have to buy a copy of this. It sounds like it would be best on vinyl but the TT is acting up a bit (almost certainly menopausal) so I'll opt for the CD for now. I even saw it recently in Tower on vinyl and while the cover was familiar it didn't 'click' with me.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
jadarin wrote:Cybot,
Hope you enjoy.
I'm gonna have to buy a copy of this. It sounds like it would be best on vinyl but the TT is acting up a bit (almost certainly menopausal) so I'll opt for the CD for now. I even saw it recently in Tower on vinyl and while the cover was familiar it didn't 'click' with me.
I believe you can get a special double CD edition; this, of course, must be the EP that Jad was talking about. I know now that it's not included with the vinyl edition.Then, after all that, you can read the album of the month review in Mojo :-)))
cybot

Post by cybot »

At around 9.30 I cycled into town to get something,ended up in Easons reading Mojo and next thing I
knew I was in Tower in Dublin at approximately 12.30!??! All because the first Lp below,which I had been
fondling for the last while not knowing whether to buy or not, suddenly jumped out of the page in Mojo
as Underground album of the month!??!It was exactly where I pictured it and I grapped it and ran :-)))
Then I tripped over the new Massive Attack Triple vinyl and I was utterly lost :-)))

A beautiful example of just why vinyl is an Art form in more ways than one :-))))

Then I went to Borderline to see if the Jimi Hendrix 'Alternate Electric Ladyland' double was still there and after
a little bit of haggling I managed to get a measly €5.00 off; still I went off happy and contented. BTW the
sleeve is a feeble male pastiche of the original 'naked' ladies sleeve... though the inside is nicely done.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Called into HMV today after lunch and came away with this double collection for only €14.99!
The clincher apart from the obvious was: 1. All songs are in MONO?!?!!?

2. A lovely poster featuring all their singles.

3. A DVD featuring 4 videos - one of them I
had never seen before ('Bootleg') with
Tom playing John's Rickenbacker and John
a black Gibson (Toms?).Warning:the video quality
is variable among other things... :-)))

So what a fortnight it's been! Can't believe that this is the first time I'm hearing these classic songs
in MONO for the first time ever!! I only had time to compare the stereo version of 'Green River' with
the MONO version and the MONO was far more authentic with John's voice much further out in the
mix and the guitars sounding far more 'swampy' ie the way the song was originally meant to be heard...

Edit: Just after finding out that the set is available as a limited edition box collection of 15 x 7" picture sleeved singles....

Dig the two DUDES below :-))) Spot the Deep Purple Lp in the corner......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvMBL-UB1T8

It's a CD too - ARGH ?!!?
Last edited by cybot on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Have just ordered this MONSTER - Triple Vinyl with DVD of entire concert!??! :-)))

http://temporaryresidence.com/
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

picked up this lot on LP today.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

Good on you Dave! Are the Hendrix Lps the new remasters? I have a funny feeling that his first one is the digital remaster - is it a double? Finally where did you get them? Sorry for all the questions but it's not everyday that someone like yourself buys two Hendrix Lps and the great man dead nearly 40 years!?!?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:Are the Hendrix Lps the new remasters? I have a funny feeling that his first one is the digital remaster - is it a double? Finally where did you get them?
yes, both the Hendrix LPs are the new remasters and both are from the original analog tapes. "...Axis.." is a double LP. I bought them in Freebird and the rest in Tower. I think that there are two Live ones left in Freebird.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP