What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Poulenc - Les Biches Suite & Les Animaux modeles Suite (Charles Dutoit, Orchestre National de France, Decca)

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

ravel30 wrote:Debussy Images book 1 and 2 from

Unfortunately, I do not own this recording but I listened to it through the Naxos library that I have free access to through the university where I work at. If I had $100 I would buy the 5 volumes.
I have all the volumes (I even got one signed by J-E B when he played in Dublin) and they are excellent. When I want Debussy piano music it's almost always Bavouzet or Richter I turn to (which says a lot for Richter's magnetism, actually, as the sound quality and audience noise can be fairly purgatorial!).
bombasticDarren

Poulenc - Aubade (Francois-Rene Duchable/James Conlon, Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Warner Apex)

bombasticDarren

R. Strauss - Don Juan & Till Eulenspegels lustige Streiche (George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra, Sony Classical)

Last edited by bombasticDarren on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Ciaran wrote:
ravel30 wrote:Debussy Images book 1 and 2 from

Unfortunately, I do not own this recording but I listened to it through the Naxos library that I have free access to through the university where I work at. If I had $100 I would buy the 5 volumes.
I have all the volumes (I even got one signed by J-E B when he played in Dublin) and they are excellent. When I want Debussy piano music it's almost always Bavouzet or Richter I turn to (which says a lot for Richter's magnetism, actually, as the sound quality and audience noise can be fairly purgatorial!).
Wow! Nice story about the signature. Thank you for sharing it with me. I completely understand as to why Bavouzet's Debussy is your version of choice. Very clear sound and amazing technique. One day, when I make the big bucks, I will get those cds.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

fergus wrote:
ravel30 wrote:Image
I listened to that one only recently; did you like it Matt?
Hi Fergus,

Yeah I remember that. That is why I decided to listen to it too :). I am a total newbie when it comes to vocal or choir music so I don't think that I am much of a reference :). I hope to learn from all of you about this repertoire. That being said, Mozart's requiem is one piece that I have listen to a few time before. I find this particular recording to be beautiful with superb sound quality. I always feel very happy when I can purchase a Harmonia Mundi recording (usually when they are on sales otherwise...no) so I am trill to have this cd in my collection.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Today:

My parents in law gave us a nice and comfortable reclining chair. I put it in our basement and turn it into my own room for listening to classical music. Today is the first day that I made the most of the chair and used it to listened to several pieces.

First:

Mozart Symphony 35 and 36, Bruckner Symphony no. 3 from

This was only the third time ever that I listened to the 35th. What an amazing piece of music. And while I am on it, let me tell you, yet again, that I am totally in love with this box set. A real bargain and so many goodies for the price. This version of Bruckner's 3rd is now probably my favorite one among the ones I own. Many thanks to all of you because I bought that box set because it contains a complete cycle of Schumann's symphonies that some of you recommended.

And then some religious music. CD 4 of

That superb box set was a present to myself for Christmas 2 years ago. It was the perfect price and content for a total newbie in sacred music like myself. I would like to go through each of the 30cd in 2012. CD4 consists of some beautiful polyphonic pieces from the 14th century.

And then in the evening

Mahler Symphony no. 3 conducted by Tennstedt with the LPO from

Love the new chair and i am looking forward to many great music days like today in the future.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Seán wrote:
ravel30 wrote: I have been listening and talking about this box set for a while. Now I am ready to beg you to get that set before it is too late. This box set is making me fall in love with Sibelius' music all over again. Now I must listen to his Vienna Symphony Orchestra/ Decca recording.
I have Maazel's VPO set and I really like it, Matt, do you prefer the Pittsburgh cycle?
Sorry for a late reply Sean. I have never listened to the VPO set but may borrow it sometimes soon from my local library. If, hypothetically, Maazel conducted both orchestra in exactly the same way, then I would assume the the VPO cycle is better since it is a better orchestra. But still, I find the Pittsburgh cycle to be very special to my ears.

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote: My parents in law gave us a nice and comfortable reclining chair. I put it in our basement and turn it into my own room for listening to classical music. Today is the first day that I made the most of the chair and used it to listened to several pieces.
Your new chair seems like an ideal way to settle down for some good listening; I like the way that you hijacked it for this purpse Matt!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have never been disappointed with either the music of Palestrina or the singing of the Tallis Scholars and this recent purchase is certainly no exception to this!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra