Harbeth

Gussy Finknottle

Harbeth

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

I have just purchased four Harbeth LS3/5a from an old friend of mine.They were owned by his late father from new and still look so.We have not agreed a price yet,but we are talking about maybe 700 euro for the four.Would any members of the forum have any ideas on this price.I have checked up on the net and these seem to be early models
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
Diapason

Re: Harbeth

Post by Diapason »

I'd say you're doing well on price there, but as usual it all depends on condition, etc. You'd certainly sell them for more than that in the Far East!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Gussy Finknottle

They are in A1 condition.I opened them up and all driver and crossovers are as they should,it does not look like anything has been replaced and the cabinets are flawless.I have not bought them with the intention of selling on as i have a thing about british speakers
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Sorry, I didn't think you were going to sell them, I just mean you've got a good deal there.

I've never actually heard the LS3/5A, but they're hifi lore at this stage. I wonder what you'll think of them?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

They sound bloody fantastic!

Make sure they are all playing OK, no voice coils rubbing no fried tweeters. The drivers for these are obsolete and cannot be got any more. Ones that haven't been opened and tweaked are immensely more sought after than "modded" ones. I think there are rebuild kits for rotten surrounds but you'd have to check.

If all is well, and they are working properly, then you have a very sweet deal on your hands. You could probably sell for more than twice that if you wanted to.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Gussy Finknottle

I have checked everything on them and they are in very good order and sound fantastic.I have a pair of chartwell LS3 already so have a fair idea of whats it all about.They were used with a pair of Sugden P51's which i will also purchase.I have been told by my friend that his father rotated the drivers a quarter turn once a year but i am not so sure as they are pretty airtight
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

For these, that rotation is a good idea. The suspension can sag a bit causing the voice coil to rub, so if he did that it means he knew what he was at - bodes even better.

Looks like a very sweet deal....

Fran
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:For these, that rotation is a good idea. The suspension can sag a bit causing the voice coil to rub, so if he did that it means he knew what he was at - bodes even better.

Looks like a very sweet deal....

Fran
How would one do that Fran? I'm trying to picture it in my head....Is it necessary to do with other speakers?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Unscrew the drivers, rotate 90deg, and tighten back up. Probably no benefit doing it with more modern drivers, but ones from 40 years ago.... And especially if they are unused for a while.

Fran
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Unscrew the drivers, rotate 90deg, and tighten back up. Probably no benefit doing it with more modern drivers, but ones from 40 years ago.... And especially if they are unused for a while.

Fran
Ah! I understand now. Thanks Fran...