Any thoughts on this ?

Gerry D

Any thoughts on this ?

Post by Gerry D »

I am considering, again, that I will change my integrated amp, a Cary 300B SET, Class A, zero feedback model, for a newfangled combo pre amp/dac and power amp[s].

I want a multi input dac and remote volume control and remote source selection with a combined or separate pre amp facility. With the sweetness of the amp that I have !!! A tall order it seems.
Don't need much power, fancy valves in the power end. Lost here.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be warmly received.

Looked online at AMR DP -777 and the Classe CP 800 [benefit of analogue inputs here and iPod in]. Both interesting. Both very expensive.
The new Arcam Dac 33 doesn't have volume control. A grave oversight imho.

Any suggestions welcome.
Stuff available in Dublin ideally.
[Although I'll be in Manchester with a van at my disposal in mid March].

Many thanks and have a nice weekend.
Gerry
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Diapason

Re: Any thoughts on this ?

Post by Diapason »

Devialet?

Don't go ruining this with pricetaggery now... :)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:Devialet?

Don't go ruining this with pricetaggery now... :)

Aye, that was first thought too. Niall Hunt may be able to let you hear one in your own system.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

hi gerry i was speaking to rodney hanna the engineer in enniskillen and he was not sure how to recomend on this at the minute
but if you are going to manchester there is a dealer in cheadle beside airport on start of stockport rd i have got a few things of these people before
and i spoke today
volume is always poorer in dac stage and is always better in pre amp remote source and multi input there are many that do this they said that there is arcam and then dcs which murders amr in his words -they said that if you ring and arange they can show all to you
you could then make your cary with remote volume
there is a engineer in england called paul hynes who can do volume mods and he is the best valve engineer in europe in my view
the audio works is the company in manchester
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Just don't know what to recommend to you........ but that Cary amp will take a bit of beating!!!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

giant haystacks wrote:hi gerry i was speaking to rodney hanna the engineer in enniskillen and he was not sure how to recomend on this at the minute
but if you are going to manchester there is a dealer in cheadle beside airport on start of stockport rd i have got a few things of these people before
and i spoke today
volume is always poorer in dac stage and is always better in pre amp remote source and multi input there are many that do this they said that there is arcam and then dcs which murders amr in his words -they said that if you ring and arange they can show all to you
you could then make your cary with remote volume
there is a engineer in england called paul hynes who can do volume mods and he is the best valve engineer in europe in my view
the audio works is the company in manchester
Thanks very much for that. Will look into it all.
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Fran wrote:Just don't know what to recommend to you........ but that Cary amp will take a bit of beating!!!

Fran
I know Fran. That's the kernel of my "Problem".
A superior type of problem, I guess.
But as per earlier post: http://audiomatters.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... u.html?m=1
It is a real problem. :)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Heh!! I do think I suggested a brush handle with a rubber cup on the end as a "remote" control!!
Do or do not, there is no try
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

gerry the audioworks shop i told you about is no ordinary shop they are not the usual fanatical box seller they are sort of the ultimate tweekers -the owner larry ogden makes the music works hifi products which are mains cables' mains block' hifi rack' speaker stands' isolation devices all made of arcrylic and if you go to the dcs factory there demonstration room is completely music works products -i will find out what mods paul hynes does to volume control for you
chat later
Modest

Post by Modest »

Gerry ,Arcam DAC 33 2000£ price tag ?
What about http://store.antelopeaudio.com/pd-zodiac-gold.cfm ?
Few words down here : http://www.stereophile.com/content/fift ... -68-page-2
Regards
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables