What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Haydn - String Quartet Op.77 No.1 (Amadeus Quartet, DG)
I realy like the Amadeus Quartet and their recordings of the Haydn Quartets they are very good indeed. Are you enjoying those performances Darren?
I am hugely impressed Sean. I have a smattering of AQ recordings and they sound exactly the way I like to to hear string quartet music played. The Mozart cycle is definitely one I want to get at some point (I have their quintet recordings, and they are masterful also)
Yes, their Mozart cycle is splendid too, it's well worth getting and so is this:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: Image
It is a long time since I have listened to that!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

fergus wrote:
ravel30 wrote: Yesterday I learned something amazing. Love Bruckner and I own Bruckner's 4,6,8,9's conducted by Daniel Baremboim conducted by the Chicago Orchestra. They are all among my favorite recordings of those pieces. Apparently, the complete cycle was recorded in the 70's and 80's, released and forgotten since. For years I have been dreaming of them re-releasing the complete cycle. Well yesterday while looking on Amazon I learned that it has now been released:

For around $45 which is very good for such a great set. I am soooo tempted right now but probably will have to wait.

Matt.
And may the rest of your dreams also come true Matt!!!
Of course I meant my musical dreams but many thanks for your comment Fergus.

Edit: I only own the 4th and 9th from that set and not the 6 and 8th. I mixed them up with the other set by Baremboim with the Berliner Symphony orchestra.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

This morning:

The Four Seasons by Vivaldi from this local recording:

That set of concertos is a pure delight. I hope to comment on it in the appropriate thread soon

Later in the day:

Mozart Symphony no. 40 and 41 from

Have I told you guys lately how much I am happy to own that box set? Only 18 cdn dollar. What a bargain such great music wonderfully conducted

Bruckner Symphony no. 9 Baremboim/Chicago Symphony orchestra

I am not a religious person but I knew what heaven looked like while listening to that performance. My favorite
version of that symphony and one of the many reasons why I would like to purchase the complete cycle containing that very same
version. My stereo was set of a relatively high level and the brilliance, clarity and amazing play was clearly apparent in every corner of that performance

I am proud to say on this forum that I am a big fan of Daniel Baremboim. Something that I would be afraid to mention
in the other forum from fear of comments of a famous welsh man

And then

Borodin Symphony no. 3 Ansermet/Orchestre de la Suisse Romande from

Beautiful conclusion of my program for the day. I have always love that piece that I feel deserve more love from all

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:
The Four Seasons by Vivaldi from this local recording:

That set of concertos is a pure delight. I hope to comment on it in the appropriate thread soon
Please do Matt as one of the aims of that thread is to give those that may want to buy another version of the Four Seasons as much information and as many choices as possible.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:
Bruckner Symphony no. 9 Baremboim/Chicago Symphony orchestra

I am not a religious person but I knew what heaven looked like while listening to that performance. My favorite
version of that symphony and one of the many reasons why I would like to purchase the complete cycle containing that very same
version. My stereo was set of a relatively high level and the brilliance, clarity and amazing play was clearly apparent in every corner of that performance

I am proud to say on this forum that I am a big fan of Daniel Baremboim. Something that I would be afraid to mention
in the other forum from fear of comments of a famous welsh man

I am a big fan of Bruckner's music Matt and I can see where the religious reference would come from. I am sure that you are aware that Bruckner was a devoutly religious man and that would come through a lot in his music I think.
Another point in relation to the understanding of Bruckner's music is that he was a Church organist and I personally think that he wrote a lot of his music with the organ in mind; it is, to me, as though Bruckner almost plays the Orchestra like an Organ! Perhaps that is just my fertile imagination but that is how I interpret a lot of his music.
Jared

Post by Jared »

continuing to wade my way through Martinu... starting to make a little more sense after the 5th listen..

Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:continuing to wade my way through Martinu... starting to make a little more sense after the 5th listen..
Is it hard work for you?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:Vivaldi - Gloria in D major (Judith Nelson/Emma Kirkby/Carolyn Watkinson/Simon Preston, The Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford/The Academy of Ancient Music, L'Oiseau-Lyre)

what did you thbink of that disk of Vivaldi choral work Darren? I for one think this aspect of his body of work is quite underrated. If you're ever in the frame of mind for an alternative version, with Scarlatti's wonderful DD to boot, try:

Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:continuing to wade my way through Martinu... starting to make a little more sense after the 5th listen..
Is it hard work for you?
It's not a style which will ever come easily to me Sean thanks for asking... the most important thing is that I keep trying though, isn't it?