What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Moeran - Symphony in G minor (Vernon Handley, Ulster Orchestra, Chandos)

I have never actually heard any of Moeran's music Darren....how do you like it?
It's a bit like Bax and Walton, so it suits me Fergus. This is a nice recording - I have yet to be disappointed by the Ulster Orchestra
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
It's a bit like Bax and Walton, so it suits me Fergus. This is a nice recording - I have yet to be disappointed by the Ulster Orchestra
Perhaps I will follow up on him when I have completed my journey through Bax.

I agree on the Ulster Orchestra incidentally.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Hummel - Rondo brilliant Op.56 & Op.98 (Howard Shelley, London Mozart Players, Chandos)

bombasticDarren

Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem (Cheryl Studer/Andreas Schmidt/Claudio Abbado, Schwedischer Rundfunkchor/Eric-Ericson-Kammerchor/Berliner Philharmoniker, DG)

bombasticDarren

Haydn - String Quartet Op.76 No.4 Sunrise & No.5 (Amadeus Quartet, DG)

Claus

Post by Claus »

Last night:

It did not disappoint! Very good recording and as the conductor says in the booklet: This Piano Concerto really deserves to be part of the repertoire.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Sibelius Symphonies 4 and 5 from

I am totally in love with this set. Beautifully played.

Plus

Yesterday I learned something amazing. Love Bruckner and I own Bruckner's 4,6,8,9's conducted by Daniel Baremboim conducted by the Chicago Orchestra. They are all among my favorite recordings of those pieces. Apparently, the complete cycle was recorded in the 70's and 80's, released and forgotten since. For years I have been dreaming of them re-releasing the complete cycle. Well yesterday while looking on Amazon I learned that it has now been released:

For around $45 which is very good for such a great set. I am soooo tempted right now but probably will have to wait.

Matt.
bombasticDarren

Haydn - String Quartet Op.76 No.6 (Amadeus Quartet, DG)

bombasticDarren

Brahms - Symphony No.1 (James Loughran, Halle Orchestra, CfP)

bombasticDarren

ravel30 wrote:Yesterday I learned something amazing. Love Bruckner and I own Bruckner's 4,6,8,9's conducted by Daniel Baremboim conducted by the Chicago Orchestra. They are all among my favorite recordings of those pieces. Apparently, the complete cycle was recorded in the 70's and 80's, released and forgotten since. For years I have been dreaming of them re-releasing the complete cycle. Well yesterday while looking on Amazon I learned that it has now been released:

Matt, I am sure once you get around to it, you will love that Bruckner cycle. I only have the 1st symphony from it, but I have Barenboim's BPO cycle and admire it greatly :-)