What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

Partitas 4-6.
Fergus its lovely that you're taking time out to remember the great man, but forgive me for asking the obvious; are these played on the Harpsichord? I know you're not fond of Bach on piano... if so, how would you say it compares with the texturally rich Pinnock versions?

Yes they are Jared but I cannot answer your second question because I do not have the Partitas played by Pinnock. Having said that I do like Pinnock playing as well as directing.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

I have literally just managed to return home in a blizzard from a trip to London's ENO for Der Rosenkvalier...

...bed now!
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:I have literally just managed to return home in a blizzard from a trip to London's ENO for Der Rosenkvalier...

...bed now!
I'm glad you made it home, did you enjoy the concert?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:If I was to pick out a set I wouldn't be without however, it would be:

I think I'd keep the Previn set personally Jared. I gather the Boult set on Decca has some loyal supporters too...maybe in a few months I will look into getting that one.
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:and finally, what I'm actually currently listening to!

sorry I've been away for a while... busy week at work, I'm afraid..
I have that disc too, but have yet to try it out: is it good? Both the piece and the performance?
bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:I have literally just managed to return home in a blizzard from a trip to London's ENO for Der Rosenkvalier...

...bed now!
I'm glad you made it home, did you enjoy the concert?
I did, but I fear opera will always be a passion that I prefer to enjoy in short controlled bursts whilst lazing around at home...;-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:I have that disc too, but have yet to try it out: is it good? Both the piece and the performance?
the performance is very noteable... it was recorded in the Spanish Hall at Prague Castle in 1991, at the height of the Czech national revival, and like the Kubelik Smetana, has a tremendous amout of energy. It's also a very likeable piece.
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:
I did, but I fear opera will always be a passion that I prefer to enjoy in short controlled bursts whilst lazing around at home...;-)
I'm pleased I'm not the only one.. occasionally, I suffer from delusions of adequacy in this field, but I fear it will never happen.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:
I'm pleased I'm not the only one.. occasionally, I suffer from delusions of adequacy in this field, but I fear it will never happen.
I once felt like that lads but having taken a few tentative steps during the second half of last year I can see a change here for me. What I will say though is that it very much depends on the work itself and what it has to offer rather than who the shrieking soprano happens to be.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a wonderful CD with beautiful melodies, rich harmonies and soaring sopranos!