What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

This is a lovely recording and anyone looking for an introduction to the sound world of Monteverdi would do well to start with this CD as the music it contains is very accessible and very well performed.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Brahms - Symphony No.3 (Wolfgang Sawallisch, Wiener Symphoniker, Philips)

Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Brahms - Symphony No.3 (Wolfgang Sawallisch, Wiener Symphoniker, Philips)

The Sawallisch/LPO Brahms cycle is truly awful. Are you enjoying that cycle with the VPO, Darren?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Brahms - Symphony No.3 (Wolfgang Sawallisch, Wiener Symphoniker, Philips)

The Sawallisch/LPO Brahms cycle is truly awful. Are you enjoying that cycle with the VPO, Darren?
The VSO I think Sean....;-)

As you may know, I do not enjoy the Sawallisch/LPO recordings either. These ones are much more adventurous; the recording is slightly rough, but the orchestra play with energy and drive (that is sometimes too much). A massive improvement on the LPO set, I like Sawallsich so thought he deserved a second chance. I don't know how great this set is, but I do like it a lot.
bombasticDarren

Bax - November Woods (David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Naxos)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

bombasticDarren wrote:Bax - November Woods (David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Naxos)

Nice! This is the only cd that I have of Bax's music and I enjoy it. I always wondered about his other symphonies. Some people suggested me to try his 6th.

Matt.
bombasticDarren

Verdi - Un ballo in maschera: Act 2 (Placido Domingo/Katia Ricciarelli/Renato Bruson/Elena Obraztsova/Edita Gruberova/Claudio Abbado, Coro e Orchestra del Teatro all Scala, DG)

Seán

Post by Seán »

Darren, this may be of interest to you:
Tuesday, 19:30 on BBC Radio 3
Michael Tilson Thomas returns to conduct the LSO in music by Debussy, in this his 150th anniversary year. The enigmatic quality of Debussy's piano Preludes has been magically captured in these orchestrations by Colin Matthews. The piano Fantaisie has an intriguing history, as Debussy withdrew it from publication just before the first planned performance. It was revived after his death, and deserves to be better known.

The work concluding the concert is by a Frenchman dramatically different in style to Debussy - Berlioz. His Symphonie fantastique recounts the doomed love affair of a man who has poisoned himself with opium, causing hallucinations of a masked ball, the countryside, a march to the scaffold and finally a witches' Sabbath.

Debussy, orch. Colin Matthews: Preludes (selection)
Debussy: Fantaisie for piano and orchestra

20:10
Interval: Interval Music

20:30
Part 2:
Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique

Nelson Freire (piano)
London Symphony Orchestra
conductor Michael Tilson Thomas.

Friday, 19:30 on BBC Radio 3
Debussy Nocturnes
Prokofiev Violin Concerto No 1

Friday, 20:20 on BBC Radio 3
Synopsis Roussel Bacchus et Ariane

A rare performance of Roussel's thrilling and jazz-influenced ballet music Bacchus et Ariane together with the ethereal first violin concerto by Prokofiev makes for an evening of great drama conducted by Stephane Deneve.

Hilary Hahn (Violin)
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Stéphane Denève (Conductor)
Ladies of the RSNO Chorus
Tim Dean (Chorus Director).
Last edited by Seán on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:Darren, this may be of interest to you:
Friday, 19:30 on BBC Radio 3
Debussy Nocturnes
Prokofiev Violin Concerto No 1

Friday, 20:20 on BBC Radio 3
Synopsis Roussel Bacchus et Ariane

A rare performance of Roussel's thrilling and jazz-influenced ballet music Bacchus et Ariane together with the ethereal first violin concerto by Prokofiev makes for an evening of great drama conducted by Stephane Deneve.

Hilary Hahn (Violin)
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Stéphane Denève (Conductor)
Ladies of the RSNO Chorus
Tim Dean (Chorus Director).
Looks wonderful Sean! I will have to catch it on the Saturday as I am in London for the Lahti Symphony Orchestra that night!
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote: Looks wonderful Sean! I will have to catch it on the Saturday as I am in London for the Lahti Symphony Orchestra that night!
Name dropper! Who is the conductor? What is the programme? Where are they playing, pray tell?

Pleasae note, I have updated the original post.