Post by fergus »

A good one to have Seán!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:This morning I listened to and really enjoyed a performance of Beethoven's First on Lyric's Coffee Concert, the programme was presented by Paul Herriott. So today I have enjoyed a feast of Beethoven Firsts and all are so different.
I have been thinking about that Seán and comparing a number of different versions of the one work is something that I used to do a lot of; and I really used to enjoy it as it is a great way to really get to know a work. I really must get back to basics in this regard and resume that practice again. My new purchases have diminished to the extent that I am now at my lowest level for quite some time of the discs sitting on my shelf awaiting listening....a mere 10CDs + 2 box sets. I really am trying to catch up on listening to my collection as opposed to just continually adding to it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Brahms: Symphony No. 3 [Solti]....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Disc 2, The 'Haffner' and the 'Linz' symphonies. The overall sound feels a bit 'heavier' and larger than the previous release of the later symphonies a few months ago but overall this is still an extremely good recording to have.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Brahms: Symphony No. 3 [Solti]....
How are you finding this set Fergus?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

I really like it Dave....Brahms with a bit of life to it as Solti can really attack the music!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

After listening to the Mackerras/RLPO recording of Beethoven's First yet again, I moved on to:

and the symphonies 7 & 8 from Svetlanov's marvelous box set of Miaskovsky Symphonies:

and finally to the second of the two recordings that succeeded in turning me into a Mahler nut:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Two versions of Cantata BWV 67 for the first Sunday after Easter performed by the Bach-Collegium Stutgart/Rilling and secondly Gardiner’s version....