What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

^^ I have three complete Schumann sets...

when it comes to the Overtures, they haven't been greatly recorded and in truth, they are a bit of a mixed bag quality wise.. however the most complete set on offer is very affordable and worth the purchase:

I still think his Manfred & OS&F rise above the rest...
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Orchestral Suite No.4 (Karl Munchinger, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Decca Eloquence)

bombasticDarren

^^ I am a big fan of Schumann's symphonic output, and have half a dozen or so cycles. I would offer Gardiner and Kubelik (BRSO) as the pick of the bunch. I also like Solti, and agree with Matt's comments on that set :-)
bombasticDarren

Brahms - Symphony No.2 (Wolfgang Sawallisch, Wiener Symphoniker, Philips)

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Ravel - Piano Concerto in G major (Cecile Ousset/Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

bombasticDarren wrote:Ravel - Piano Concerto in G major (Cecile Ousset/Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)

Cool!!!! How is that recording Darren? Do you think that the conducting of Rattle is good on that recording? I always thought that he was a great conductor. At least not as bad as you know who proclaims. Ravel is in my top 5 favorite composers (thus my nick) and I always thought that I should get at least 2 more recording of the two piano concertos. Suggestions anybody?

As for Le tombeau de Couperin, I could never have enough recordings of that beautiful work.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Jared wrote:^^ I have three complete Schumann sets...

when it comes to the Overtures, they haven't been greatly recorded and in truth, they are a bit of a mixed bag quality wise.. however the most complete set on offer is very affordable and worth the purchase:

I still think his Manfred & OS&F rise above the rest...
I always consider the Sawallisch set as a possible second one. But then Darren's suggestion of the Kubelik set makes me doubt. I still have to listen to one recording of Kubelik that is not amazing.
bombasticDarren

Ravel - Piano Concerto in D for the left hand (Cecile Ousset/Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

That is the recording that I will listen to shortly to start off a weekend of music that will conclude with a live concert on Monday evening. I am currently trying to listen to one piece or two of Schubert per day.

String quartets are generally not among my favorite genre but once in a while I enjoy it a lot. Both 'Death and the Maiden' and 'Quartettsatz' are beautiful pieces. It is a shame that the 'Quartettsatz' in unfinished because I think that it is a pretty amazing piece.

Matt.