What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: both this and the sister disk of Josquin Motets are very welcome additions to my collection Fergus:

there are only four of them in the OC - 2 tenors, alto, baritone... yet the harmonies they create are wonderful. mid '90's recordings, close(ish miked, with fine acoustics dfrom St Osdag Kirche, Neustadt.

If you have any Ockeghem from the Sixteen or a larger choir, this will prove to be an ideal counterpart for comparison, because they have an understandably more intimate feel about them, esp the Motets.
Good stuff Jared....thank you very much for that!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: Image
Just for the record lads I do have that one and its Schumann cousin....I do try....really!!
Sad to read that Fergus but I do understand. Aren't you moved by the Toccata Op. 7, Papillons Op.2 or Waldzenen Op.82? Would I lose the respect of some of you if I were to say that I prefer Schumann to Schubert ? It is difficult to talk about Schumann on the Other forum without being made fun :). Hope (but it is not an obligation) that it is different here :).

Regards,

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote: Hey Fergus,

Thanks for the welcome. Your memory is correct though I have never really been starving :). Things are now better financially but I am still careful with what I buy. Mostly look for box sets and the one that you suggested looks amazing. Thanks.

I forgot if it was you, Sean or Jared but one of you once said that box sets in classical music are the best invention ever :). I still remember that sentence to the day. It was very funny and oh so true.
Hey Matt,

You are most welcome and I am delighted to read that your diet never suffered!! That comment sounds like Seán to me.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:Sad to read that Fergus but I do understand. Aren't you moved by the Toccata Op. 7, Papillons Op.2 or Waldzenen Op.82? Would I lose the respect of some of you if I were to say that I prefer Schumann to Schubert ? It is difficult to talk about Schumann on the Other forum without being made fun :). Hope (but it is not an obligation) that it is different here :).

Regards,

Matt.
First off Matt, you are free to discuss any issue here without being ridiculed.

Secondly, Scumann is IMHO up there with Schubert.

Thirdly, those comments af mine and the other guys about me are in relation to another thread that we currently have going on music that we do not "get". With me the issue is not the music but the fact that it is played on solo piano....go figure!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Now that I have caught my breath after all of that typing I can post what I was listening to this evening....

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Now that I have caught my breath after all of that typing I can post what I was listening to this evening....

I purchased that recording last autumn Fergus, and enjoyed it very much. I never talked about it much in the other place, as I realised there are a good few Schwarzkopf detractors..
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote: Image
I purchased that recording last autumn Fergus, and enjoyed it very much. I never talked about it much in the other place, as I realised there are a good few Schwarzkopf detractors..
That is one thing that always surprised me Jared....I think that she was superb!
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Symphony no. 2 'Copernican' Op. 31 by Henryk Gorecki conducted by Antoni Wit/ Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra/ ... / Naxos

Not as famous as his 3rd but quite wonderful indeed.

Symphony no. 2 and Overture Julius Ceasar by Robert Schumann conducted by Georg Solti/ VSO/Decca

Big fan of Schumann's symphony but I never felt the urge to buy another set since that one has everything i like in a performance. Amazing conducting, big and loud brass section and top quality musicians.

Am I the only one here who really really like the overture Julius Ceasar? The main melody is amazing and very clever.

Matt.
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:Symphony no. 2 'Copernican' Op. 31 by Henryk Gorecki conducted by Antoni Wit/ Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra/ ... / Naxos

Not as famous as his 3rd but quite wonderful indeed.
I had that in my hand recently and put it back on the shelf and bought something else instead!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote: Symphony no. 2 and Overture Julius Ceasar by Robert Schumann conducted by Georg Solti/ VSO/Decca

Big fan of Schumann's symphony but I never felt the urge to buy another set since that one has everything i like in a performance. Amazing conducting, big and loud brass section and top quality musicians.

Am I the only one here who really really like the overture Julius Ceasar? The main melody is amazing and very clever.

Matt.
I have a number of cycles but that is a very good set Matt.