What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Martinu - Symphony No.6 Fantaisies symphoniques (Jiri Belohlavek, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Chandos)

bombasticDarren

Prokofiev - Symphony No.5 (Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)

Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Prokofiev - Symphony No.5 (Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)
It's his Birthday today.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Martinu - Symphony No.6 Fantaisies symphoniques (Jiri Belohlavek, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Chandos)
Do you like that set Darren? I have the Jarvi and Neumann cycles and they are splendid, I am curious about that set.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Martinu - Symphony No.6 Fantaisies symphoniques (Jiri Belohlavek, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Chandos)
Do you like that set Darren? I have the Jarvi and Neumann cycles and they are splendid, I am curious about that set.
Martinu will shortly be up for me... having purchased the Thomson set on Chandos, recently.
bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:
I only have the odd disc in Belohlavek Chandos recordings - I think they are very good but not a significant improvement on what you have already. I am interested in Belohlavek's recent cycle with the BBCSO though....
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Seán wrote:
I only have the odd disc in Belohlavek Chandos recordings - I think they are very good but not a significant improvement on what you have already. I am interested in Belohlavek's recent cycle with the BBCSO though....
Is it a Martinů cycle?
bombasticDarren

^^ It sure is!

I think it came out last year. I remember it got some good reviews at the time.

I am waiting for the price to come down a bit more ;-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:Greetings everybody!!!!

I listened to the superb Symphonie Fantastique and the Carnival Overture by Berlioz with the LSO conducted by Colin Davis

Davis is a fantastic Berlioz conductor, in my opinion.

Regards,

Matt.
Warm greetings from Dublin to Canada Matt....you are very welcome here to this small corner of the world.

I absolutely agree with you on Davis/Berlioz. I also think that it is a magical combination. Now, if my memory serves me correctly, you are a starving student living in a garret etc. but if you can scrape a few dollars together and can track down a cheap copy of this box set then you are in for a delight....

Post as often as you can Matt as I always enjoyed reading your take on what you were listening to.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra