What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:and, at times, a war zone too.
well a little bit, and of course that's a shame. I guess that when you get a group of individuals together who by and large are educated, elderly and very knowledgeable on all aspects of classical music, that their opinions can become a little inflexible.
To be fair one also has to be very mindful of the huge cultural differences that exist on both sides of the Atlantic; it is something that I am very conscious and the do not understand language nuances as we do. I find, as a result, one has to be very careful not only what one says but how one says it. Here, because we essentially speak the same language, it is therefore just that little bit more relaxed.
To be fair, I love CMG, but one must walk carefully. I can be myself here though: a moaning, whingey, whiny grouch, right Fergus?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

bombasticDarren wrote:I don't want to start a post on this matter, but would just like to say that since I 'rejoined' this forum I have had nothing but a great experience. I feel like the community is very tight and supportive here, and everyone is happy to agree or disagree in as friendly a manner as possible. It feels like a bunch of friends chatting about a shared passion and it's a pleasure to be a small part of it!
Cool!!! bombasticDarren is here too!!! Another good reason for joining!! Nice to see you here too my friend.

Matt.
Jared

Post by Jared »

ravel30 wrote:Greetings everybody!!!!

Davis is a fantastic Berlioz conductor, in my opinion.

Regards,

Matt.
Hi Matt,

A very warm welcome!! It's really great to see you over here, I hope you are able to pop in from time to time and join in with this happy little forum. You'll be very pleased to learn that I've been listening to a bit of Berlioz recently, including the Davis performance you have posted above. On ebay, I came across this work for a great price, which I'm looking forward to receiving in the post, any day now:

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

DaveF wrote:Welcome on board Matt! Hope you enjoy yourself on our small but active forum. I think I know the other classical forum you're talking about ;-) . I venture there from time to time but I'm not really an active poster there.

Good choice on the Berlioz above. I have the version Davis did with the Concergebouw and its pretty good I think.
Many thanks for your message DaveF. Hope to exchange with you again in the future. Davis and the Concertgebouw must be wonderful too. Such a splendid orchestra that I unfortunately don't own enough of their recordings :(.

Matt.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: To be fair, I love CMG, but one must walk carefully. I can be myself here though: a moaning, whingey, whiny grouch, right Fergus?
It's funny you should mention that... I had been beginning to think the Sean on CMG must be a completely different person... ;-))

anyway, with all the high 5's and bonhomie out of the way... THREAD DUTY:

some very early French music... dedicated to Matt's arrival... (!)
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

ravel30 wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:I don't want to start a post on this matter, but would just like to say that since I 'rejoined' this forum I have had nothing but a great experience. I feel like the community is very tight and supportive here, and everyone is happy to agree or disagree in as friendly a manner as possible. It feels like a bunch of friends chatting about a shared passion and it's a pleasure to be a small part of it!
Cool!!! bombasticDarren is here too!!! Another good reason for joining!! Nice to see you here too my friend.

Matt.
I am very pleased to see you here Matt. I hope you are able to post often
bombasticDarren

Beethoven - Piano Trio No.3 (Florestan Trio, Hyperion)

bombasticDarren

Adams - El Dorado (Kent Nagano, The Halle Orchestra, Nonesuch)

Busoni - Berceuse elegiaque (Des Mannes Wiegenlied am Sarge seiner Mutter) (Orch:Adams) (John Adams, London Sinfonietta, Nonesuch)

Liszt - The Black Gondola (Orch:Adams) (John Adams, London Sinfonietta, Nonesuch)

Seán

Post by Seán »

Speaking of Ms Otter, I was reminded to listen to these Sibelius songs again:

Jean Sibelius
Svarta rosor (Black Roses), Op.36 No.1
Men min fågel märks dock icke (But my Bird is Long in Homing), Op.36 No.2
Säv, säv, susa (Sigh, Sigh, Sedges), Op.36 No.4
Illalle (To Evening), Op.17 No.6
Im Feld ein Mädchen singt (A Maiden Yonder Sings), Op.50 No.3
Aus banger Brust (O, Wert Thou Here), Op.50 No.4
Die stille Stadt (The Silent Town), Op.50 No.5

Anne Sofie von Otter, mezzo-soprano
Bengt Forsberg, piano
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

This one's for Matt. I bought this set on his recommendation:

Franz Schubert
Sonata in B Flat major D960

Wilhelm Kempff - piano

This is wonderful music, beautifully played.
Last edited by Seán on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.