What are you listening to?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Diapason »

Seán wrote:I gave up on Bach's B Minor Mass earlier
Did you just bite off more than you could chew...?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:
Sorry, I don't mean to be disrepectful (as I know you'd be able to cite all kinds of music I can't get a grip of) but I must clearly be missing something here... I was completely bowled over by Bach's Mass in B, the very first time I heard it... what exactly would there be to 'bite off'?? :-/

surely, it would be the Passions, esp the St Matthew, which would require a little work, for the uninitiated?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Jared wrote:I was completely bowled over by Bach's Mass in B, the very first time I heard it... what exactly would there be to 'bite off'?? :-/
I feel the exact same way, but I'd rarely listen to it all in one sitting. There's just so much music here that I often think it's better broken into smaller pieces. Given its provenance, I don't feel "guilty" doing that here, whereas I might with other works.

Back in the Usenet days, on the classical newsgroups, the B minor mass was regularly voted the greatest piece of music ever written. That's meaningless of course, but it's right up there!!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:
I'll trythe Suzuki next. I shouldn't try and listen to new music when I am very, very tired, it's too much like hard work I suppose. I will not give up on Bach, I'd be a fool to do so. His instrumental music is simply wonderful, all of it, I love it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paysages-French ... 959&sr=1-1

I wouldn't mind you posting that picture every so often, as personally I find her ridiculously cute...
LOL
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:Back in the Usenet days, on the classical newsgroups, the B minor mass was regularly voted the greatest piece of music ever written.
the Butcher voting goes like this:

Fave Renaissance Choral Work: Monteverdi: Vespers (1610), then Victoria: Requiem
Fave Baroque Choral Work: Bach: Mass in B , then Buxtehude: Membra Jesu Nostri
Fave Classical Choral Work: Haydn: The Creation, then Mozart: Requiem
Fave Early Romantic Choral Work: Beethoven: Missa Solemnis, then Beethoven: Mass in C
Fave Romantic Choral Work: Dvorak: Requiem, then Mendelssohn: Elijah
Fave 20th Century Choral Work: Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius, then RVW: Sancta Civitas

I'm sure that lot will cause some upset and consternation... ;-)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I don't know that Dvorak requiem at all...
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Jared wrote: Fave 20th Century Choral Work: Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius, then RVW: Sancta Civitas

Tsk tsk. Where's Belshazzar's Feast then? ;-) :-D
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:I don't know that Dvorak requiem at all...
Simon, please let me introduce you to over two hours of sheer delight:

the Mass in D is also of the highest quality, and incredibly underrated imho... simply beautiful.
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Jared wrote: Fave 20th Century Choral Work: Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius, then RVW: Sancta Civitas

Tsk tsk. Where's Belshazzar's Feast then? ;-) :-D
I enjoy it, but like Elgar's Falstaff, it simply doesn't quite grip me in the same way, Darren...

... I erm... weighed it in the balances and found it wanting.. ;-)