What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ nice to see we're both respectfully observing the holy day, Darren... :-)
Religious zealots!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Now this is as a new one on me, I never thought that I would come to like this music, but I do, I like it very much indeed, particularly the first two parts, 'Ad pedes' and 'Ad genua'. There is a beautiful, simplistic, wholesomeness to this music, that is deeply involving, found myself listening to it again and again so that I could find the patterns in it.

Well, these Japanese artists make a glorious sound:

Dietrich Buxtehude
Membra Jesu nostri

Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki - conducting.
Wow Seán....that is a turn up I must say!!!
I have persevered with it and the results are very rewarding indeed. It will not be my first choice, it is lovely light music, vey easy on the ear and delivered with great intensity and emotion too, very enjoyable.

Good for you Seán for persevering and being able to open up to something that is quite foreign to your ear.

Note to self: must try harder with solo pianos and Chopin and such like!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Mozart - Piano Concerto No.24 (Richard Goode, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, Nonesuch)

How do you rate Goode as a pianist Darren in both Beethoven and Mozart? I have heard nothing of his performances, not even on the radio.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is an intriguing and exciting work and well worth investigating
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:^^ nice to see we're both respectfully observing the holy day, Darren... :-)
Religious zealots!!!
quite the contrary... as Elisha took over Elijah's mantle, Darren and I were hoping to take over yours (while you disappeared heavenwards, in a whirlwind)... ;-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
Religious zealots!!!
quite the contrary... as Elisha took over Elijah's mantle, Darren and I were hoping to take over yours (while you disappeared heavenwards, in a whirlwind)... ;-)

LOL!!

Well put Sir!
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Holst - The Planets (James Loughran, Halle Orchestra, CfP)

Image *

* I have an older CD edition.
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Mozart - Piano Concerto No.24 (Richard Goode, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, Nonesuch)

How do you rate Goode as a pianist Darren in both Beethoven and Mozart? I have heard nothing of his performances, not even on the radio.
I prefer the Mozart. These recordings are of a very high quality, the Beethoven recordings were praiseworthy for the orchestral support in particular. Sorry, but I don't feel terribly confident assessing pianists; but I am pretty sure that Richard Goode was making a laudable attempt at it all
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: I prefer the Mozart. These recordings are of a very high quality, the Beethoven recordings were praiseworthy for the orchestral support in particular. Sorry, but I don't feel terribly confident assessing pianists; but I am pretty sure that Richard Goode was making a laudable attempt at it all
An honest answer Darren and I appreciate it. I am reading into that answer, without putting words into your mouth, that there was nothing outstanding or special in the Beethoven performances....
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: I prefer the Mozart. These recordings are of a very high quality, the Beethoven recordings were praiseworthy for the orchestral support in particular. Sorry, but I don't feel terribly confident assessing pianists; but I am pretty sure that Richard Goode was making a laudable attempt at it all
An honest answer Darren and I appreciate it. I am reading into that answer, without putting words into your mouth, that there was nothing outstanding or special in the Beethoven performances....
Correct ;-)