Debussy orchestral works

Seán

Re: Debussy orchestral works

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:I really like Debussy and Ravel.
Sorry Sean... didn't mean to leave you out; I just can't really remember what everyone has a passion for... I remembered Darren's because it has been mentioned on a couple of occasions recently.

anyway, I think Simon will consider himself to have been very well served with enticing suggestions... ;-)
Fret not, it is difficult to remember eveyone's likes and dislikes. I really like Froggy music: Roussel, Fauré, Debussy, Ravel et al.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I know what you mean. I remember being quite put out, the time you 'accused' me on CMG of not liking Chopin, when the offender was Fergus, all along... LOL
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Great suggestions all round. Thank you!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ I know what you mean. I remember being quite put out, the time you 'accused' me on CMG of not liking Chopin, when the offender was Fergus, all along... LOL
Gosh, that's right, poor Fergus, fancy not liking Chopin, 'tis strange.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Sorry. One more:-

It has the best Bolero ever(!) (if you like that sort of thing). The Roussel 3rd Symphony is one that I hope Sean has heard. Wonderful stuff :-)
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ some excellent Debussy recommendations from Sean there too :-D
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:The Roussel 3rd Symphony is one that I hope Sean has heard. Wonderful stuff :-)
I love it, it is the one Roussel work that I return to time and time again, and this is my favourite performance:

This is well worth having too:
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:^^ I know what you mean. I remember being quite put out, the time you 'accused' me on CMG of not liking Chopin, when the offender was Fergus, all along... LOL
Gosh, that's right, poor Fergus, fancy not liking Chopin, 'tis strange.
Still don't like him....or pianos!!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

One more for you Simon....

'Tis French music played by a French Orchestra and conducted by a French conductor....the version of La Mer is special!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:One more for you Simon....

'Tis French music played by a French Orchestra and conducted by a French conductor....the version of La Mer is special!
I think that those works and more are included in the Brilliant Classics set that I mentioned earlier.