What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

I have always liked Nigel I must admit....a bit on the eccentric side but a very talented guy IMHO. I have seen him do some great jazz improvisation stuff on the TV too.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Franck - Piano Quintet (Clifford Curzon/Amadeus Quartet, BBC Legends)

bombasticDarren

Bax - Symphony No.7 (Vernon Handley, BBC Philharmonic, Chandos)

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Bax - Symphony No.7 (Vernon Handley, BBC Philharmonic, Chandos)

I am interested in that set Darren....how do you find it?
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Bax - Symphony No.7 (Vernon Handley, BBC Philharmonic, Chandos)

I am interested in that set Darren....how do you find it?
Oh, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly Fergus. I would also add that the David Lloyd-Jones cycle (available in bargain single disc instalments) on Naxos is also have superb quality. I needn't tell you that these are significantly underrated works that deserve a listen. Just my view of course ;-)
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombasticDarren

Elgar - Symphony No.1 (Adrian Boult, London Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:Image
Back in the days of buying CDs in shops with knowledgeable staff and prices to match, it was always a toss up between this and the Parrott (which I bought). That set is great, but I always hankered after the Gardiner anyway. I might have to buy it now that it's not IR£35 and a kidney.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: Oh, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly Fergus. I would also add that the David Lloyd-Jones cycle (available in bargain single disc instalments) in Naxos is also have superb quality. I needed tell you that these are significantly underrated works that deserve a listen. Just my view of course ;-)

Thank you for that Darren. I have the Naxos editions sorted and I really like what I have heard there so I want a second cycle and this Chandos set has always come up as a recommendation and I obviously value your honest appraisals....so onto the List it goes!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
Back in the days of buying CDs in shops with knowledgeable staff and prices to match, it was always a toss up between this and the Parrott (which I bought). That set is great, but I always hankered after the Gardiner anyway. I might have to buy it now that it's not IR£35 and a kidney.
I bought my copy way back in those times Simon but got away with a pancreas instead of a kidney!! As you know I am very biased towards Gardiner in Bach.......but it is a wonderful version....honestly!!!