What are you listening to?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Diapason »

I've recently been enjoying double cd of Bach Cantatas recorded live, performed by Chorale Saint-Michel and 'La Banda' Orchestra directed by Gerry Welter. Basically, I turned pages for a friend's organ recital in Luxembourg last year, and the guy who recorded that concert kindly have me some of his other recordings. They all seen to be uniformly great, but this Cantata disc is especially enjoyable. I know nothing about any of the performers, cut they do a lovely job here. Cantatas are BWV 140, 187, 10 and 70.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:I've recently been enjoying double cd of Bach Cantatas recorded live, performed by Chorale Saint-Michel and 'La Banda' Orchestra directed by Gerry Welter. Basically, I turned pages for a friend's organ recital in Luxembourg last year, and the guy who recorded that concert kindly have me some of his other recordings. They all seen to be uniformly great, but this Cantata disc is especially enjoyable. I know nothing about any of the performers, cut they do a lovely job here. Cantatas are BWV 140, 187, 10 and 70.
sounds very enjoyable Simon... I'll shortly be embarking on an excursion through some of Bach's Cantatas myself..
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote:Image
that's a wonderful symphony, Dave...
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

For the past few weeks I have listened to a lot of music that is entirely new to me, mainly Baroque music, so it was comforting to finish off today's listening session by returning to a thoroughly enjoyable performance of a symphony that is very familiar to me:

Jean Sibelius
Symphony No. 1

Lahti Symphony Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Holst - The Planets (Charles Dutoit, Orchestre symphonique de Montreal, Decca)

Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:Holst - The Planets (Charles Dutoit, Orchestre symphonique de Montreal, Decca)

welcome (back) to our little hidy hole Darren... really thought I'd got the wrong website for a moment, but delighted to see you over here... ;-))

Purcell: The Fairy Queen (5th run through)
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.3 (Richard Goode/Ivan Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Nonesuch)

Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:welcome (back) to our little hidy hole Darren... really thought I'd got the wrong website for a moment, but delighted to see you over here... ;-))

Purcell: The Fairy Queen (5th run through)
Jared, you have a PM.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler