What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

WOW....Savall doing Mozart!!!

I would not have put those two together....how did you get on with that one Dave??
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

yes Savall and Mozart was not a combination I expected to come across either. It was an impulse buy online while browsing MDT one night. Yes, as expected it's quite superb which is a foregone conclusion with Savall these days hence the lack of comments. (...truth is that I was just too lazy to comment ;-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Late night listening:

Schubert
Symphonies 2, 3 & 5

Orchestra of the 18th Century
Frans Brüggen conducting

Gorgeous music, beautifully played.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

This morning, two versions of the same JSB Cantata BWV4 (one of JSB’s earliest) for Easter Sunday....

Image Image
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:This morning, two versions of the same JSB Cantata BWV4 (one of JSB’s earliest) for Easter Sunday....

Image Image
Christ lag in Todesbunden! One of my favourites! A really extraordinary cantata. Did you like either version, Fergus!

The Ricercar Consort have an excellent recording

on Mirare together with another very early cantata, Aus der Tieffen ruffe Ich zu Dir, BWV 131 and Himmelskönig sei willkommen, BWV 182.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Early morning listening:

Schubert
Symphonies 6 & 8

Frans Brüggen conducting

That completes my listening to the Schubert cycle. Leaving aside my initial misgivings about the 9th I have to say that it is a great set and one that I wil return to again and again.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:Early morning listening:

Schubert
Symphonies 6 & 8

Frans Brüggen conducting

That completes my listening to the Schubert cycle. Leaving aside my initial misgivings about the 9th I have to say that it is a great set and one that I wil return to again and again.
I've been enjoying 1-6 from that set, but not so happy about 8 and 9.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:Christ lag in Todesbunden! One of my favourites! A really extraordinary cantata. Did you like either version, Fergus!
The first played was the version by Gardiner with its usual up tempo, up-beat approach while the second version was by Karl Richter with the big, full bodied orchestral sound also, I must add, with a well sprung up-beat version. I am not crazy about the "heavy" orchestration used by Richter (a little too syrupy in places for me) as I like my Bach a little leaner but the singing, both solo and choral, was wonderful.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:That completes my listening to the Schubert cycle. Leaving aside my initial misgivings about the 9th I have to say that it is a great set and one that I wil return to again and again.
I am glad that you stuck with it as the earlier, "Classical" symphonies really are wonderful.