What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

McCreesh recreates a mass as it might have been celebrated on Christmas Eve at St. Mark’s in Vevice....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:Image
I do not have any orchestral versions of that work Jared, only chamber versions.
Fergus, this was a freebie from our friend Darren who had a duplicate, so you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. That said, although the work is splendid (and performed to its full advantage as a choral work as opposed to a SQ or Piano), I think I'd like to hear another version for comparison. The frontrunner in some people's minds is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Sept-Dern ... 985&sr=1-4

which I'd suggest you bore in mind, as I do think you'd love it..
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Did you like it Jared?
Yes I did... although it will need some more performances, and is something I actually think would benefit from the visual element, as it is obviously a potted and slightly altered version of AM-SND. at any rate, I'll take time out with the libretto over the holidays... ;-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:McCreesh recreates a mass as it might have been celebrated on Christmas Eve at St. Mark’s in Vevice....

I've had my eye on that one a few times (what self respecting member of the PM fan club wouldn't?) but it has thus far eluded me.. is it good?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:[Fergus, this was a freebie from our friend Darren who had a duplicate, so you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. That said, although the work is splendid (and performed to its full advantage as a choral work as opposed to a SQ or Piano), I think I'd like to hear another version for comparison. The frontrunner in some people's minds is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Sept-Dern ... 985&sr=1-4

which I'd suggest you bore in mind, as I do think you'd love it..
Thank you Jared....one could not go wrong with those particular forces!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
Did you like it Jared?
Yes I did... although it will need some more performances, and is something I actually think would benefit from the visual element, as it is obviously a potted and slightly altered version of AM-SND. at any rate, I'll take time out with the libretto over the holidays... ;-)
I really love that raw, early period feel that is produced by Gardiner in that performance....I must say that I loved it from the moment that I first heard it; just my cup of tea really!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:McCreesh recreates a mass as it might have been celebrated on Christmas Eve at St. Mark’s in Vevice....

I've had my eye on that one a few times (what self respecting member of the PM fan club wouldn't?) but it has thus far eluded me.. is it good?
It is a solemn and beautifully atmospheric and spiritual performance which incorporates some chant and sections of a Mass Service....really gorgeous!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: I really love that raw, early period feel that is produced by Gardiner in that performance....I must say that I loved it from the moment that I first heard it; just my cup of tea really!

If you asked me where my principle growth in appreciation during 2011 had come.. it would be Handel, Haydn & Purcell... their discographies have grown considerably at chez Butcher. I agree with that statement in its entirety... and I'll be working back to Orlando Gibbons before too long.. ;-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
It is a solemn and beautifully atmospheric and spiritual performance which incorporates some chant and sections of a Mass Service....really gorgeous!
hmmm... you're a very expensive man to know, Mr Byrne... ;-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Thank you Jared....one could not go wrong with those particular forces!
Yes, left to my own devices, I don';t think I would have gonbe for the Harnoncourt. I rarely find anything 'wrong' with his interpretations and this one is fine enough; its just that I always find him very emotionally restrained, to the point of being over-refined and calculated.. I don't know whether you agree; maybe its just me... but I'd like to compare it with an alternative, and the one above has come highly recommended.