What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

This was the first disc of Charpentier’s music that I bought and it still remains a seasonal favourite; with gorgeous singing and beautiful instrumental textures. The Noels are very melodious and lilt along at a lively pace, in a dance like fashion; a lovely recording.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ well, how can you go wrong with Brahms Piano Quartets??? They are splendid... especially No.1.

Charpentier is quite underrated imho... he wrote some lovely music...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Charpentier is quite underrated imho... he wrote some lovely music...
Quite right, my friend! Charpentier's music is generally very lively and exciting and the above CD is a good example of that.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Can't find a picture, but I'm listening to CD called "Christmas Carols from Christ Church Cathedral" that I got free with petrol years and years ago. It even has the Esso john on it. Anyway, it's a really lovely disc. For copyright reasons none of the "normal" carol arrangements are used, instead Andrew Johnstone wrote some really beautiful descants and harmonies. Shame this disc isn't really in circulation.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:Can't find a picture, but I'm listening to CD called "Christmas Carols from Christ Church Cathedral" that I got free with petrol years and years ago. It even has the Esso john on it. Anyway, it's a really lovely disc. For copyright reasons none of the "normal" carol arrangements are used, instead Andrew Johnstone wrote some really beautiful descants and harmonies. Shame this disc isn't really in circulation.
kind of reminds me of the free 'Smurfs with Father Abraham' single I got as a kid, from our local 'National' petrol station when Dad had saved up enough tokens... ;-)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

My phone did a great job there. John should be logo.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

A wonderful work that is beautifully sung and played.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image
I won't deny, it went round and round in the car CD player for some time, Fergus... I hope you're enjoying the disk too..

meanwhile, I seem to have been developing a bit of a Brahms Piano Quartet/Trio kick, which isn't entirely healthy, being as I'm meant to be moving onto some choral music, any time about now... ;-/