What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:Hello young Jared, do you like that set? I was keen to get a copy of the complete Schubert Quartets, I choose the Kodály cycle on Naxos and I really like them, so I'm just curious about the Melos box set.
very much recommend them Sean... recorded in the mid '70's, they are very vibrant and melodic with good sound quality for the time.. you can pick them up for around the £18-£20 martk, but they rarely seem to drop below that.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: Oh dear, [ psst, don't tell Jared] I don't have any copies of Brahms Requiem in my collection, I must address that next year. I love his symphonies and chamber pieces so this is one for the New Year resolution list.
I think I'm probably more into large scale choral works than most Sean... as you can imagine, my collection is littered with glaring omissions, but this as a consequence tends to be a department I do quite well in. If I may be so bold, please try BOTH of these highlighted, firstly because they are both top notch, but also because they are quite different in their approaches, and I think Fergus will agree, complimenet each other rather well.

There seem to be a lot of EDR detractors out there... don't listen to them; it's a glorious piece of choral music, full of passion and drama.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: There seem to be a lot of EDR detractors out there... don't listen to them; it's a glorious piece of choral music, full of passion and drama.
There does seem to be a lot of people who do not "get" the Brahms Deutsches Requiem all right and I could never understand that myself. I think that it is a magnificent work full that is full of Humanity. I do not have the Herreweghe but I honestly believe that the Gardiner should be in every collection!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:There does seem to be a lot of people who do not "get" the Brahms Deutsches Requiem all right and I could never understand that myself. I think that it is a magnificent work full that is full of Humanity. I do not have the Herreweghe but I honestly believe that the Gardiner should be in every collection!
Fergus: Where the Gardiner goes for a head on powerful bombast of glorious harmonies, the Herreweghe is somehow more subtle, atmospheric and at times almost mystical, without ever being remotely insipid... they are two incredibly powerful interpretations which for my money, compliment each other beautifully for being so different and indeed... should be in everyone's collection...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Fergus: Where the Gardiner goes for a head on powerful bombast of glorious harmonies, the Herreweghe is somehow more subtle, atmospheric and at times almost mystical, without ever being remotely insipid... they are two incredibly powerful interpretations which for my money, compliment each other beautifully for being so different and indeed... should be in everyone's collection...
Thank you for that Jared. I am a great admirer of Herreweghe...........
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Motivated by this discussion, I just listened to it myself (Herreweghe recording). Gorgeous!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:Motivated by this discussion, I just listened to it myself (Herreweghe recording). Gorgeous!
good man!!

pure genius... ;-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Motivated by this discussion, I just listened to it myself (Herreweghe recording). Gorgeous!
Great to read that you are listening again Si....well done those new amps!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image
Great choice Jared!!