Recent Viewing

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
fergus

Re: Recent Viewing

Post by fergus »

k99_64 wrote:Image
You are actually the first person that I know of that has seen that film!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ivor wrote:3D is looking like the latest fad to 'save' the film and TV industries but in the vast number of such movies I've seen it's a gimmick and there to distract from what is really a dull derivative movie (Avatar I'm lookin' at you!)
Well said Ivor....content seems not to matter at all!!

Edit: Actually I wonder what avid sports watchers will think of 3D TV sports?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

This whole 3D thing, didn't we go through all this before...? I still haven't seen one of the more recent 3D extravaganzas so I can't comment, but it'll be good to see what happens when it stops being a gimmick and somebody has the vision to use it artistically. I'm thinking of stereo in the early days with ping-pong effects -- how long did it take that to settle down?

Anyway, when it comes to vampires, I'm a huge True Blood fan. Not a programme to watch with your 17 year-old daughter, though.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: but it'll be good to see what happens when it stops being a gimmick and somebody has the vision to use it artistically.
I wouldn't be optimistic. 3D has been around since the 1950s and has rarely raised itself above the gimmick.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

fergus wrote: You are actually the first person that I know of that has seen that film!!
There's a (ahem) "copy" of it sitting on my desk this past few weeks and I haven't yet gotten around to watching it. This weekend is looking good for it.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:
Ivor wrote:3D is looking like the latest fad to 'save' the film and TV industries but in the vast number of such movies I've seen it's a gimmick and there to distract from what is really a dull derivative movie (Avatar I'm lookin' at you!)
Well said Ivor....content seems not to matter at all!!

Edit: Actually I wonder what avid sports watchers will think of 3D TV sports?
About Avatar I seem to be in disagreement with just about everybody: I caught it last week just before it disappeared from Dublin cinemas and I found it absolutely exhilarating and beautiful. The weakness and derivativeness of the story was about as relevant as the same complaints about an opera. It was a structure sufficient to hang the amazing experience on. You intellectuals are just too verbal. It's a visual experience: look and be entranced! I thought the 3D effects were beautiful done, in a very involving way.
b318isp

Post by b318isp »

Avatar is a bit of a conundrum for me. I really enjoyed it in the cinema, but I have a strange reluctance to see it again. If I really like a film, I tend to buy it on DVD later - but this is one film that I'm not sure if I would sit down to watch again. Maybe I'll change my mind as time goes by.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

k99_64 wrote:[ Image
I finally watched this the other night (on blu-ray) and it really is a fantastic movie. Mostly shot in real time with hand held cameras it does feel quite raw, although obviously I can't compare it to reality.

I watched Invictus last night which again was brilliant but unnecessarily syrupy (is that even a word?) at times. It's also very long and I'm a tired old man today. Nothing huge amounts of coffee can't cure. There's nothing coffee can't cure.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Ivor wrote:I watched Invictus last night ....
Being a rugby fan I somehow just cannot bring myself to watch Matt Damon playing the role of the Springboks captain Francois Pienaar....and I like Matt Damon!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

fergus wrote: Being a rugby fan I somehow just cannot bring myself to watch Matt Damon playing the role of the Springboks captain Francois Pienaar....and I like Matt Damon!
Damon was ok in the role... typically detatched performance from him but he was fine. Rugby is the only sport I take an interest in at all and I really enjoyed the 'action' sequences. It's worth watching Fergus, particularly if you like the game itself. Honest!