What are you listening to?

Ciaran

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ciaran »

After being much too busy for quite a while, finally an evening to relax with some records.

First, a wonderful Bach cantata CD conducted by Sigiswald Kuijken:

I listened to one of my favourite cantatas, BWV 49 Ich geh' und suche mit Verlangen, which only uses bass and soprano soloists and has lovely solos for oboe, cello and organ. Heavenly.

Then getting my feet on the ground again with some of Brahms's Hungarian Dances

in the original piano four-hands version played by the Kontarsky brothers. Legal high, no chemicals necessary!

Then I broke the cellophane from Das Lied von der Erde

with Christa Ludwig and Fritz Wunderlich and the Philharmonia conducted by Otto Klemperer. This is quite something, but I was too tired to take it in properly. Some evening soon I'll listen to it again.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:Image
That has been on my Wish List for some time now so I await further comments from you given that your initial response seems quite positive.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Very early morning listening with Rautavaara's Cantus Articus and Symphony No. 3....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Symphony No. 9....

The slow movement of this symphony is a particular favourite of mine and I was really pleased with the performance here as it was beautifully and tenderly played. The soloists, choir and orchestra all play and sing with gusto in a powerful performance of the final movement
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB Cantata BWV 182 for Palm Sunday....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

R Strauss: Disc 1 from this set (which includes An Alpine Symphony and Don Juan)....

Both recordings are in mono and the sound does show its age a bit but both performances are wonderful....a bit of added volume enhances the listening experience.

An Alpine Symphony: highlights include....the moment of sunrise which is absolutely wonderful and spectacularly evocative....the waterfall scene has a quirky magic about it....the powerful and emotional evocation of reaching the summit....and the storm is exhilarating.
Don Juan: this version has great tonal range alternating between exhilaration and excitement and tenderness. The horns are particularly noteworthy in this recording.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:An Alpine Symphony: highlights include....the moment of sunrise which is absolutely wonderful and spectacularly evocative....the waterfall scene has a quirky magic about it....the powerful and emotional evocation of reaching the summit....and the storm is exhilarating.
what's the pacing like here Fergus? My most recent version of the Alpine Symphony is by Solti but it lacks the right touch and subtlety in certain passages not to mention the brightness of the recording. Ahhhh! Brightness!, it really p*sses me off in recordings.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:R Strauss: Disc 1 from this set (which includes An Alpine Symphony and Don Juan)....

Both recordings are in mono and the sound does show its age a bit but both performances are wonderful....a bit of added volume enhances the listening experience.

An Alpine Symphony: highlights include....the moment of sunrise which is absolutely wonderful and spectacularly evocative....the waterfall scene has a quirky magic about it....the powerful and emotional evocation of reaching the summit....and the storm is exhilarating.
Don Juan: this version has great tonal range alternating between exhilaration and excitement and tenderness. The horns are particularly noteworthy in this recording.
Böhm and the Berliners: a lovely combination. I was wondering about that set and if you might like it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler