What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Cherubini – Messe solennelle No. 2....

This is just wonderful music and we also have a performance to match which was full of passion and exuberance.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^^ Very fine version Dave... a favourite '7' of mine..

absolutely adore the harmonies in this...
Jared

Post by Jared »

this is really quite gorgeous, as well!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

What do you think of that one Jared?
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ possibly one notch down from his 38-41, but that still makes it masterfully assured, rather than utterly breathtaking...

he really did churn out some stellar material in his twilight years...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:^^ possibly one notch down from his 38-41, but that still makes it masterfully assured, rather than utterly breathtaking...
Precisely what I thought too! I was just a little disappointed with this one when it was released as I had ultra high expectations of it after the stellar 38-41. But still a great purchase nonetheless. If you liked these Jared, the Rene Jacobs versions are extremely good too. As a matter of fact I would probably give the nod to the Jacobs recordings.

I cant listen to any more big band approaches of this music after listening to the above.
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote:I cant listen to any more big band approaches of this music after listening to the above.
Rene Jacobs is a quality interpreter of the classical era, so no surprises there....

Like you, I also tend to shy away from large orchestras when it comes to Haydn and Mozart in particular, as I like to hear the tonal colours, rather than a stodgy bombast! I have the complete Pinnock boxset of these works, but will probably invest further in the future...