Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet No. 7 'Razumovsky', Op. 59 No. 1

Takács Quartet

Why do I feel that the Takács' are always in a hurry? It is interesting but certainly not my favourite performance. The Végh are much better.
I found that throughout the entire cycle Seán.
I can't warm to them, to be honest. I dislike their performance of Death and the Maiden and I rarely listen to their Bartok cycle either, I find that I tire of listening to them.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet No. 7 'Razumovsky', Op. 59 No. 1

Guarneri Quartet

This is a gorgeous and powerful reading of this work. The Guarnari introduced me to Beethoven's String Quartets and I always enjoy listening to their cycle.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

the two books of 48 are just going round and round at present...
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a pot-pourri of fifteenth and sixteenth century Franco-Flemish music.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image

I bet that's a lovely disk, Fergus..
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

I bet that's a lovely disk, Fergus..
I have one or two like it Jared but it is not half bad indeed.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Why do I feel that the Takács' are always in a hurry? It is interesting but certainly not my favourite performance. The Végh are much better.

I found that throughout the entire cycle Seán.

I can't warm to them, to be honest. I dislike their performance of Death and the Maiden and I rarely listen to their Bartok cycle either, I find that I tire of listening to them.
pfffff! ;-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote:Image
Dave, how do you like Goodman's approach to the later Haydn symphonies... are you a fan?

I have considered delving into these waters from time to time.. but haven't done so as yet...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
Dave, how do you like Goodman's approach to the later Haydn symphonies... are you a fan?

I have considered delving into these waters from time to time.. but haven't done so as yet...

Hi Jared, yes Im a huge fan of Goodman's approach to these symphonies. For me, only Hogwood/AAM comes close. Such a shame that neither of them recorded all of the symphonies.
Its not for everyone though so if you generally prefer the 'big band' approach I'd go for the well regarded Dorati set which incidentally I personally loathe!

Abbado and COE do a great job of these symphonies too.