Feickert Adjust Software

bod

Feickert Adjust Software

Post by bod »

Hi Folks,

Does anybody have a copy of this program I could borrow? (I don`t want to be nicking it off the web!).

Cheers,

Dave.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Feickhert Adjust Software

Post by Fran »

Don't you need the special LP that comes with it?

(don't have it, but have looked briefly at it)
Do or do not, there is no try
bod

Post by bod »

Don`t think so Fran. The HFNRR Test Record should work fine as it has an azimuth test track. I`ve only set the deck up again after months in storage so the ocd madness has kicked in again :-). I could borrow my friend`s oscilloscope but I`ve heard the Feickhert program is a breeze to use so I`d like to try it. I`ve located it on torrent/download sites but as I still buy music etc. the last thing I want to do is head down that road (even though borrowing it is more or less the same thing...kinda...well, not really etc. etc.). Cheers. Dave.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You probably don't even need an oscilloscope - a multimeter will probably do...

I thought there was specific tracks on the accompanying LP for the various functions on the SW - rpm, wow flutter etc etc and that the LP was pressed with higher accuracy to cover this.

What you need is for someone else to down load it off a torrent and then you get a lend of it.... plausable deniability!?!?

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I've done a little more reading and it seems that actually using the thing is pretty ok, but that getting the setup correct is more difficult. I see that sampling rates of 24/96 through the audio card are recommended (44.1 not enough according to Christian himself). So you need a fairly decent audio card capable of that. One example I saw quoted was where someone was using a 3150hz test tone that's used for speed check, and was getting it around 16hz off -but the problem was due to a latency issue with his soundcard. That kind of thing puts me off a bit.... but then if you already have a good soundcard, then no issues. The US dealer says he uses shims between cart and arm where there is no built in azimuth adjustment.

I must dig out my DMM or even the scope and the HFNRR test record and measure the voltage side to side and see how it fares.

Fran

EDIT: a users impressions here: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=9200
bod

Re: Feickert Adjust Software

Post by bod »

Cheers Fran. Sounds like a lot of work for a non-computer person like me. The Unify arm has a little grub screw that allows for azimuth adjustment but as it`s a unipivot arm you gotta set the bias correctly to adjust the azimuth...but setting the bias correctly requires correct azimuth so round and round we go! The ole mirror/eyeball will have to do for the time being I reckon plus the fact that everytime I go near the Townsend stand it needs to be re-levelled. I fear analogue-nervosa may kick in if I don`t leave well enough alone :-)
james

Post by james »

If you are setting up a turntable its worth considerring VTA ...

The whole issue of VTA [vertical tracking angle] is discussed in detail on tnt-audio.com

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e ... nts_e.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_method_e.html

The articles [by different people] discuss

a) is VTA important

b) the best way to set it

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
bod

Post by bod »

Cheers James. I have one of these Image so VTA is not the problem. My addiction to records is :-)
bod

Post by bod »

Great article James. Whilst extremely well written and factually based it still doesn`t alter the fact that the sound from my records changes significantly as the arm height is raised or lowered on the micrometre. I don`t go nuts though. There`s a rough range where the sound works for me. I only adjust if changing from standard pressings to 180 gram. I couldn`t be bothered driving myself insane making notes of the setting for each record. I adjust until any sibilance is minimised then hang around that sweet spot from album to album, open a beer and rock :-)