What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
JAW

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by JAW »

Looking forward to hearing this tonight. The concert in the Grand Canal Theatre last year was excellent!

Whoops! Can't seem to post the image from here! It's the Waterboys and An Appointment with Mr.Yeats
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:Looking forward to hearing this tonight. The concert in the Grand Canal Theatre last year was excellent!

Whoops! Can't seem to post the image from here! It's the Waterboys and An Appointment with Mr.Yeats

Hope you have a great time Johnny. Haven't been to the GCT yet myself, maybe sometime soon.....
cybot

Post by cybot »

From Boomkat, a little piece of vinyl magic.....last copy and on vinyl only too ;-)

cybot

Post by cybot »

Since the vinyl dept. in Tower was closed for stocktaking I had no option but to buy a 'normal' Lp ;-) This time in Celtic Note and very nice it is too with most of the material devoted to P A Green.....I was very tempted with Wilco's new album but I'm not familiar with their stuff at all believe it or not!

cybot

Post by cybot »

Got this in my local HMV this morning. They had a lovely display of all the albums just inside the door and I had to pinch myself! Anyway I was hoping that somebody here would have had a report on the remastering by now! I don't have a proper cd player so I'm not in a position to judge....All I can do is listen to the Lp I already have and somehow arrive at a conclusion of sorts....
Tower are selling the sets for €16.00 each, whereas HMV are doing them for €13.99....don't know about the rest.

Modest

Post by Modest »

got that this morning , so far so good album . Hope to see LP release in near future ........

Always beware the senior rock musician who becomes too fascinated with the intricacies of his craft. Chris Rea has already released one album devoted to a guitar, 2008 'comeback' album The Return of the Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes, along with the whopping 137-track Blues Guitars collection that appeared in 2005 following his battle with pancreatitis.

Santo Spirito Blues, then, follows a similar trusty, hoary old path. The cover art, a painting of a blue guitar that you might find in a Spanish art gallery aimed at English tourists, points to this, as do track titles that are straight out of the canon - Rock and Roll Tonight, The Last Open Road, Electric Guitar, and so on.

As a straightforward homage to blues traditionalism, Santo Spirito Blues can't really be faulted. Rea's playing is exemplary, his songwriting accomplished, the boxes ticked. Yet it's hard not to feel that there's something missing from the endeavour.

Money starts with atmospheric jazz, complete with added vinyl scratches, but becomes lost in bombast, lyrics that run "it's all about the money!" feeling a little too close to the bone. Electric Guitar is in the tradition of songs devoted to the six string, strangely male, and doing a merry dance with lyrical clich�: "Got me a box with a speaker / Gonna make that angel sing", "Every song about a railway track / Every song about not going back", and so on. With the master of modernising the blues, Tom Waits, about to return with a new album, Rea unfortunately strays too far into pastiche.

What's frustrating is that there is one standout track here that shows just what Rea is capable of when he's not overly focussed on playing, and eulogising, the guitar. Alright, so The Chance of Love is remarkably similar to Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing, but it's a pacy, heady track reminiscent of Rea at his 80s best. Crucially, the simple guitar lines and sax allow his greatest asset, that gravelly voice, to breathe. It's a shame that, elsewhere in this album, it so struggles to be heard.

BBC Review
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Attachments
John-Hiatt-Dirty-Jeans-And-Mudslide-Hymns-2-Front-Cover-56924.jpg
John-Hiatt-Dirty-Jeans-And-Mudslide-Hymns-2-Front-Cover-56924.jpg (69.61 KiB) Viewed 572 times
richmond_fontaine__high_country_hoes_2_300x300.jpg
richmond_fontaine__high_country_hoes_2_300x300.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 572 times
richie_havens_mixed_bag.jpg
richie_havens_mixed_bag.jpg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 572 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Sounds good on CD, would sound better on vinyl.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Derek wrote:Image
First impressions Derek? I hope to be picking this up tomorrow.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP