Michell Pre/Powers for sale -SOLD-

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Marcus

Michell Pre/Powers for sale -SOLD-

Post by Marcus »

Hi,
***Carys now withdrawn from sale*** please see end of thread for Michell Orca Pre-amp and Alecto monoblocks for sale.

Cary information:
I originally auditioned a pair of these amplifiers in Texas alongside a pair of McIntosh MC501 and Bryston 7BSST for direct comparison. These proved to be the best of the group in my opinion for clarity, detail and incredible control.
The pair I have are original factory EU 240v models, they have switchable balanced and RCA connectors and output for bi-wire. They are silver brushed finish. They are capable of driving very difficult loads.
These amps are in lovely condition with little use as I don't now have a room for them. They have their original double boxed packaging and are very heavy. They come from a smoke/child/animal free home.
There is more information, the story of their design and review links on the manufacturer's site: http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/CAD500MB.html

Auditioning would be possible, I would suggest in your system rather than mine as that is where they will be placed, but these amps are 45lbs each and my back isn't what it used to be, so I'm sorry but I can't be lending them out for general inquiries/comparisons.

I am not too sure where to pitch these in price. The US 120v spec versions do appear on Audiogon from time to time, but I can't find a comparison in EU. If anyone has any more information, I would be happy to hear it.
7_room.jpg
€2500 ono

Thanks for looking
Last edited by Marcus on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
I have a switch in my apartment but it doesn't do anything. Every once in a while, I turn it on and off. One day I got a call from a woman in Austria... She said "Cut it out will you!"
HIFIJoe

Re: Cary monoblocks for sale

Post by HIFIJoe »

Hi Marcus thats really nice pair of Cary monoblocks you have for sale,but do i detect a pair of Micheel Alecto monos,in the photo,you seem to have areally nice setup.Sorry not looking to buy.Best of luck with your sale.Yours in HiFi Frank
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

HIFIJoe wrote:Hi Marcus thats really nice pair of Cary monoblocks you have for sale,but do i detect a pair of Micheel Alecto monos,in the photo,you seem to have areally nice setup.Sorry not looking to buy.Best of luck with your sale.Yours in HiFi Frank
Thanks for your comments Frank - absolutely right, these are the MK2 Michell Alecto monoblocks which went back to Trichord recently for the power upgrade. I still love the sound of them - I have been through most of the Michell amp range (iso/argo/alectoMK1) and met John Michell while he was doing some upgrades for me a few years back. I bought the Cary's as, pre-upgrade, the Alectos didn't seem to drive my N802s and I relegated them. Now they are up to the job, but the Carys sound so sweet too I am quite happy with either setup (and at 500w each at 8ohm if I ever have a big party, the Carys have the edge in drive!). Maybe rather than selling them, I should buy a Cary tube pre-amp :-/

Hang on, how did I talk myself into that?

Marcus
I have a switch in my apartment but it doesn't do anything. Every once in a while, I turn it on and off. One day I got a call from a woman in Austria... She said "Cut it out will you!"
HIFIJoe

Post by HIFIJoe »

Hi Marcus you could a lot worst,i had cary Valve phono stage the PH301 mk2 it was really sweet, i like the sound of valves,i have the Almarro A50125A its 125 watts per ch Its from Japan.I had it up for sale on the site,but a couple of friends talked me out it,im glad did, they were right the sound is sweet and highly detailed.Again good luck with sale,and welcome to site.Yours in HiFi Frank.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Welcome on board Marcus! No way would I sell those monoblocks. They look beautiful! Listen to your own advice (and HFJs) Go for a suitable pre-amp instead....
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

cybot wrote:Welcome on board Marcus! No way would I sell those monoblocks. They look beautiful! Listen to your own advice (and HFJs) Go for a suitable pre-amp instead....
You are absolutely right - my heart wasn't really in it anyway - withdrawn.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Marcus wrote:
cybot wrote:Welcome on board Marcus! No way would I sell those monoblocks. They look beautiful! Listen to your own advice (and HFJs) Go for a suitable pre-amp instead....
You are absolutely right - my heart wasn't really in it anyway - withdrawn.

Nice one! Best of luck with your pre-amp search :-) Don't forget to let us know how you get on.....
Marcus

Michells for sale - gauging interest. Cary monos withdrawn

Post by Marcus »

Hi everyone,

I have just got in from the last of the Jazz weekend here in Cork. I must say it’s been a great weekend of inspiring music and real characters on the pub circuit and at the Metropole.

So, now that I am keeping my Carys I am looking to fund a new pre-amp. I think I will have to sell the Michells and I am gauging whether there is any interest.

I have an Orca pre-amp and a pair of MK2 Alecto monoblocks upgraded to Trichord 250w specification, per side. These were designed by Tom Evans and Graham Fowler (from Trichord) under the Michell name and the amplification section of the company then moved back to Trichord so that Michell Engineering could continue focus on TTs.

The Orca (sitting on the left hand side of the table), see picture at top of thread, is the top spec. version with fabulous ‘puck’ remote control and separate PSU (under the table), both of which were optional. It has two sets of output for bi-amping. http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/orcae.html

The Alecto monos (top hats) are MK2 latest ‘green board’ with the Trichord upgrade, converted at Trichord. They have two sets of output for bi-wiring. http://www.trichordresearch.com/Reviews ... ifying.htm
Upgrade information: http://www.trichordresearch.com/Upgrades.html (2nd upgrade).

All items are in excellent condition with original boxes and packaging. The Alectos come together in a single box.

I can supply a set of photographs to anyone who may be interested. I would prefer to sell them together.

To give an indication of value, a similar pair of Alecto MK2 with the upgrade just went on ebay in UK for £1020. The Orca is a rare beast, they hardly ever appear and are quickly sold – I don’t have a current price on a recent seller, but I would guess at a similar value to the Alectos.

I would be looking for EUR 2000 for the Pre amp and Power amps together.

Thank you for looking.

Marcus
Marcus

Re: Michell Pre/Power for sale - interest check. Carys withd

Post by Marcus »

Michell Pre/Powers now sold.