What are you listening to?

Ciaran

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
I have that one too Fergus. A work that I've found difficult to 'get' sometimes. Jordi Savall has a very interesting version that's done for stringed instruments.
I found the version by the New Danish Saxophone Quartet was particularly easy to follow:

It helped a lot! I think there are a number of other saxophone versions!

Charles Rosen's piano version

is also crystal-clear and most enjoyable.
Jared

Post by Jared »

I don't often listen to 'themed programme' CDs, but I was given this by a customer/ friend:

Ivana won the BBC Music Mag Newcomer of the Year award for this disk, and I have to admit, it's quite special... the Schubert Piano Sonata D784 is especially persuasive...
Jared

Post by Jared »

Fergus, I must admit that have had my eye on this one for some time; this very disk currently resides in my Amazon basket, however I have delayed the purchase, partly because I'm concerned I will find its complexity too much (I struggle with his Partitas, let alone this!) and partly because I have been wondering whether to buy a harpsichord version first, over the orchestral... I have been following this discusssion carefully, so what do you think?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

My gut would be *not* to start with a harpsichord version, although obviously your views might differ. I find harpsichord difficult to listen to for extended periods, and I even struggle to get through an entire set of Goldbergs. I have the MAK disc and while I like it, I certainly find it quite challenging musically. I wouldn't want to add to that challenge with harpsichord-only!

(I can suggest an organ recording if you'd like...! :P )
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote: (I can suggest an organ recording if you'd like...! :P )

thank you Simon... I think that for me, that might be the aural version of perpetual toothache.. ;-))

piano or orchestral it might be then... until of course, the lovely Catrin Finch adapts the piece for harp... :-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:

Fergus, I must admit that have had my eye on this one for some time; this very disk currently resides in my Amazon basket, however I have delayed the purchase, partly because I'm concerned I will find its complexity too much (I struggle with his Partitas, let alone this!) and partly because I have been wondering whether to buy a harpsichord version first, over the orchestral... I have been following this discusssion carefully, so what do you think?
I think that the advice given by the guys is right Jared....this is a "challange" and I think that single instrument versions would not benefit you at this stage (mind you I have a lovely version done with a recorder quartet; same instrument but different "voices"). The thing about this work is that a disc like this one is probably better to start with because of the fact that the different voices are taken by different instruments which can be "easier" to follow due to clearer lines. If the price is right and you want it in your collection anyway I would go for it....if you are not pushed either way at the moment I would leave it in your basket for now Jared.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ thanks Fergus... sound advice. I think I'll leave it sitting there for now, along with the WTC..
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.7

This is probably the Mahler set that I play the least as I find the recordings a little thin and lacking a bit of omph! Having said that I really enjoyed it this evening. No.7 is one of my favorites anyway.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Symphony No.7

This is probably the Mahler set that I play the least as I find the recordings a little thin and lacking a bit of omph! Having said that I really enjoyed it this evening. No.7 is one of my favorites anyway.
Shocked and stunned, it's probably my favourite cycle. Which cycle is your favourite Dave?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:Shocked and stunned, it's probably my favourite cycle. Which cycle is your favourite Dave?
The Kubelik cycle is great... the man's a philistine, Sean... ;-)