External Hard Drive Recommendations

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
fergus

External Hard Drive Recommendations

Post by fergus »

I am looking for recommendations for an external Hard Drive based on your own experience. I am using a PC, operating system = Windows XP. I will probably want a 1 TB capacity and, as I am no techie, it has to be idiot proof (plug in and play). The overriding factor is reliability however. I have done a bit of research and I am a bit concerned that the failure rate seems to be about 10% with these things. Any suggestions?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Re: External Hard Drive Recommendations

Post by Ivor »

No hard drive is 100% reliable, it's their nature I'm afraid. Even the chip ones aren't beyond a blip. The ones in Easons are as good as any, Seagate if memmory serves. If you absolutely have to ensure you don't lose the dats then buy a second one and back up to that like an obcessive compulsive.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ah, very topical here tonight... the hdd in my main pc just died. Curses!

However luckily all my data is backed up TG. Big pain to have to reinstall all the software though.

Anyway how is this relevant? Well no matter what hdd you buy it will die at some point. So I would buy 2 external terabyte drives at the best price of different makes. Then plug both of them in and use something like goodsync to manage the back ups.

Then you are never dependent on just one.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thanks guys. I had actually planned to buy two but I actually had not thought of buying two different makes. That is good advice!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra