What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: I am not so sure that I will prevail with Pendecki Jared....for me, to say that his sound world is challenging, is an understatement!!!
well, I have a tendancy to feel that you should be aloud to like what you like, and leave the rest alone for a future occasion... without anyone telling you that you must be deficient in some way for 'not being able to appreciate genius'
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image

This is the first Gluck that I have listened to in quite some time and it was very pleasant indeed!
I hadn't appreciated that JEG had recorded some stuff on Warner, Fergus... was this in his early days, before Philips & Archiv?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

continuing with Mahler...

Symphony No.6

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:
DaveF wrote:Mahler, Symphony No.5
how are you finding the Chailly set, Dave?
It's consistently very good from start to finish Jared. Very well recorded too and overall the performances are very difficult to fault. Not as good as, or should I say as interesting as either of Bernstein's cycles but then again Bernstein's Mahler is not for everyone but its just the way I like mine. :-))
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Jared wrote:
It's consistently very good from start to finish Jared. Very well recorded too and overall the performances are very difficult to fault. Not as good as, or should I say as interesting as either of Bernstein's cycles but then again Bernstein's Mahler is not for everyone but its just the way I like mine. :-))
I have recordings of Mahler's Third and Fifth from Chailly's RCO cycle and they are very fine performances.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

I have been giving a great deal of time to thjis recording over the past couple of weeks:

much of Schubert's later works for piano combined on a great Philips twofer, and wonderfuly played by Alfred Brendel... a bargain! That said, I can't help feeling that as good as it is, my other version of his Impromptus:

just shades for sheer sensitivity and occasional lightness of touch... any views in here as to your favourite Impromptus?
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote: It's consistently very good from start to finish Jared. Very well recorded too and overall the performances are very difficult to fault. Not as good as, or should I say as interesting as either of Bernstein's cycles but then again Bernstein's Mahler is not for everyone but its just the way I like mine. :-))
thanks Dave... I'm not surprised about Chailly; imho, he's consistently good in that type of repertoire. I think I haven't heard enough Bernstein to make my mind up, although I can see he wouldn't be to everyone's liking.. I have his Haydn: Creation which seems pompously overblown, over-orchestrated, never-ending tempos and probably nothing like Haydn would have intended in the least, but somehow, I kind of like it... lol
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote: I am not so sure that I will prevail with Pendecki Jared....for me, to say that his sound world is challenging, is an understatement!!!
well, I have a tendancy to feel that you should be aloud to like what you like, and leave the rest alone for a future occasion... without anyone telling you that you must be deficient in some way for 'not being able to appreciate genius'
After two listens I think that this one is definitely for the future!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

This is the first Gluck that I have listened to in quite some time and it was very pleasant indeed!
I hadn't appreciated that JEG had recorded some stuff on Warner, Fergus... was this in his early days, before Philips & Archiv?
The original recording dates from 1982 Jared....I am sure that I have one or two other recordings of JEG on Warner; I must check!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Jared wrote:
I regard Chailly highly....his Bruckner is wonderful!